It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
scared to do nursing again

i worked in the hospital last fall in med surg as an lpn and after 3 weeks had to quit because of my anxiety was so high i was having panic attacks and hospitalized. i felt like i did not know what to do in hospital and did not have a good orientation and i was scared i was going to make a mistake. now i have been out of nursing since september and at times i want to try the nursing home but am so scared. my whole goal forever was to be a L&D nurse which i would have to go back to RN school but i always think about it and feel like i want to do it so bad but am so scared. i keep thinking i need to work in nursing home to get experience before going back to school. i have 3 kids and don't want to work holidays and weekends that is the bad thing. has anyone had such high anxiety about nursing. i am thinking about finishing my teaching degree because my anxiety is so bad with nursing. i just feel so guilty for doing lpn school and then "quiting". i basically feel like my heart is in nursing but want to do teaching because i will be on same schedule as kids.
does anyone have any advice about controlling anxiety with nursing.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: scared to do nursing again

Hi Teach!
I'm not a nurse, I'm a Respiratory Therapist, but maybe I can help you a little. The hospital is its own little world, and it's not for everyone. It can be very intimidating, and it can be extremely stressful as you hold people's lives in your hands. If your gut is telling you that this is not the kind of stress you want to live with, and you have the option of finishing a different degree, I'd say go for it! The nursing school you've already had will never be wasted. You've got some background that will help you with your own kids, and maybe even your future students if you go for that teaching degree.

If you go forward with nursing, you'll be hard pressed to find a job where you never have to work weekends or holidays. That's just a given. The hospital has to be staffed at all times. If people would just figure out that they should only get sick M-F between 9 and 5, and that after surgery they need to get out of there before the weekend... It's the nature of the business.

My husband is a teacher, and I hope you don't feel like that's a lesser profession than nursing. We need more nurses, but we also need more good teachers! Teaching is a great job, and as you know, you'll have similar hours to your own kids. You don't get a whole three months off during the summer, like they do, but you'll get about two months. Even though you've always wanted to be a L&D nurse, there's no reason why your dream can't change. L&D can be very stressful. One bad baby (I don't mean he doesn't behave; I mean those tiny ones who have major medical problems) can put your stress bar at a whole new level. It sounds like you're halfway to the decision already.

One last thought: nursing is hard on your body. You don't see many older nurses in the hospital. It's just too hard. But you can teach until you're ready to retire!

I wish you the best as you make this important decision. Do what's good for you and your family for the long term!

Blessings,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

livingwithibs HB User

I work in a long term care facility and enjoy it so much. Unlike hosp you have the same patients day to day unless you have an admission. You get to know and care for the same patients everyday. I have never worked in a hospital but did my clinicals there and was also a nervous wreck and was very comfortable in a longterm care. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers whatever you decide. Both nursing and teaching are very much a rewarding career. Wish you the best.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

thank you everyone for your input. livingwithibs i also live in arkansas and am also living with ibs

Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

livingwithibs HB User
Smile Re: scared to do nursing again

Teacher2be: Keep us updated on how your doing with nursing. We have alot in common. I live in north central arkansas

Old 03-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
(male)

sammyboy22 HB User

I am currently on the waiting list for the RN Nursing Program at the Community College in my city. I have been waiting for a year or so, and probably will be waiting a little bit more.

My aunt is a RN in CA, and she has told me a little bit about the older nurses who aren't as friendly to the newer nurses. She said their is a saying in Nursing that "Nurses tend to eat their young." That makes me a little bit anxious but, I hope that I can get thru it. I hope when I start working with real RN's that they treat me fairly and equally, I would wish.

-Sam

Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

livingwithibs HB User
Thumbs up Re: scared to do nursing again

Some places are like that. But where I work we are always happy to have newbies come in with fresh minds and not set in their ways. That way the new ones will know to train at that facility they are hired at properly instead of a older nurse coming from another facility where they think they know how it is suppose to be done and not listening to the ways of that facility with their own policies. Every place is different. I have an older nurse who calls me at night when shes concerned or has questions. Alot of them will respect you as long as you follow the policy and have a voice when concerned about the patients care. Good luck!!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

livingwithibs.. i live in white county in arkansas. i aprreciate your input. it is good to hear from someone who understands. thanks again.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
(female)

livingwithibs HB User

teacher2be: I also live in white county. what a small world! I work 12 hour day shifts usually 4 days a week, some nurses work 3. I have all my weekends off due too having nurses who signed up for weekend option only, but i do work a weekend now and then for them if they want a wkend off. we have 2 nursing positioning openings so im trying to cover extra days during week until we get some apps in. whatever you decide in teaching or nursing i will be praying for you and wish you well.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

livingwithibs...that is so funny i worked at white county hospital last august and only worked a month because i was put in the hospital due to mitral valve and anxiety so i just never was able to go back because they put me on different medicines and it took me awhile to feel better and get used to them. i think i have decided for now to try to stick with nursing. i worked so hard to get my lpn license and i hate giving up just because of that one instance. anyways thanks for your support and taking the time out of your busy schedule to write back and offer encouragement. i applied this morning for a medication pass nurse at the local group home here in town so hopefully i will get that and it will be a way for me to learn. i feel like i did not learn anything in lpn school so i am very scared about doing anything.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

livingwithibs..i just read back on your posts and realized that you don't work at a hospital i thought you did. so you work at a nursing home? are most of the nursing homes around here working 12 hour shifts now? i did not know that you could work just weekends at a long term care facility. all of my friends i graduated with work at nursing homes and seem to like it.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
(female)

livingwithibs HB User

I believe most of the nursing homes have weekend option and you get paid more an hour also. Im not sure if they are hiring for wkend option but I hear rumors they are. anyways if you are interested apply there. its the one on pleasure. Its really family oriented and weekends are more laid back than during the week. they also extended training time esp if you feel like you need more time. I have been a nurse there for 4 years and was a cna for 7 there.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

this is so funny of all the people on this healthboards thing you are from the same town i am. this is weird. what is so funny is i picked up an application from the one on pleasure not the one by sonic right? i got the application at the end of february and really did not talk to anyone just picked it up and the girl at the desk said someone would talk to me when i returned it but i never took it back because i could not make up my mind if that is what i wanted to do. i think i know the people that own or manage it i believe their kids go to school with my son. but anyways what are the shifts there? is it like 6 to 6 or do they offer other shifts? thanks again for your help. i still think this is so funny because on this healthboards thing i read where people are from and it is always like california and all these other places everywhere and i found someone that is from where i am.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
(female)

livingwithibs HB User

Teacher2be: What a small world! Yes its the one on pleasure not by sonic. Im not saying this because Im partial at where I work but because I know, but it is alot better place to work than the other. State just left not to long ago and we did awesome. The DON is friendly, crazy(in a good way) and stays on top of things shes awesome! Our shifts are 6a-6p and vice versa. You need to go turn that app in !! lol BTY when did you graduate nursing school and where did you go??? I was in foothills last 11 month class before it became asu. Hey if you do turn your app in let me know how it goes!!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

hey i went to asu-newport and graduated august of 2005. i had a baby in december of 2005 so i took a time off after that. then in august of this last year i tried the hospital and got sick and had to quit. i had not really heard anything about either nursing home except my friend from nursing school worked at the one by sonic for awhile but i am not sure really how that went. i know the one on pleasure from the outside looks cleaner. all i know is the one by sonic pays really good but i heard they have a very high turn over rate and i guess that is why they pay what they do. yeah i will have to let you what i decide about the application. what kind of training do they do where you work. that is my main thing is that from taking time off i feel like i am so inexperienced and way behind. i should have started work as soon as i got out of school but i had a baby and felt that i needed to take the time off for him. i was just wondering how long ya'll train for and also how many nurses do you have for one shift? thanks again.

Closed Thread