It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

tasha92337 HB User
Calling all LVN's and Medical Assistant

Hello, Im a college student studying medical billing and coding and decided that its not for me. I figured I take some medical assistant classes and go from there as getting my associate degree since its only a two year course. Well I live in CA and I plan on moving to either Florida or to the islands. ( Puerto Rico, US virgin Islands, Bahamas)... I havent decided yet.

I have done some research for MA in the virgin islands and they start off making $10 an hr. Now in Florida, MA salary pay is atleast $11-15 an hr. Not bad, but im not really satisfied. My mother who is a RN told me that becoming a MA w/ or w/o a degree, is a waste of time b/c I can make $10hr w/o a degree right now by doing internships. She believes most MA jobs are hand on training and is a waste of school time and money.

So I took my final step in wanting to become a LVN. In Florida, they make $20-25 an hr. and in US Virgin Islands they make $13-15 an hr.

Now my question is, I decided to go to a course where you dont need to take your pre-reqs. Its a one year course ( Monday- Friday from 8-3pm) or part time course which is one year and half ( Evenings and Weekends) but its cost up to $18000-$23,000. This school has a grant that only covers $6000 but you have to pay the rest. The course starts in May 2007 . I have a choice between two schools which starts June 2007.

Help!!!!

I need some guidance......

Any LVNs did the year and half course??

Last edited by tasha92337; 04-18-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

opus HB User
Re: Calling all LVN's and Medical Assistant

Hey,
I am an LPN and I work at a school that trains Medical Assistants. I can tell you that I did the year long course when I went to school. If you aren't sure that you want to be a nurse being an MA is a good way to start out. You get a good base of knowledge and you can "test the waters" of healthcare to see if they are for you. If you are planning to move to the islands I am not sure about the licensing issues for LVN's (LPN's). Yes, nurses do make more money but we also work a lot harder and we work longer hours and put our license on the line everyday. Not to discourage anyone from becoming a nurse, we need more but I want people to have a realistic idea of what they are getting into so do your research! Your tuition seems a little high for a one year program as well, you may want to look into some other schools like the vocational schools and things. Good luck!

Closed Thread