It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

erikkaberry HB User
Chronic Pain/ RSD Scholarships?

I am a Senior in High School and I know this seems really out of the ordianary but I want to go to college and become a Registered Nurse. I have always wanted wanted to become a nurse since about 7th grade. I got my RSD in 6th and never thought that the RSD would hold me back. I still don't plan on letting it. Even if I can't work with my hands persay I could do triage, computers, ect. When I had to get my Psych. evaluation for my trial stimulator the therapist mentioned that there is a program for Nurses for disabilaties, I was wondering if anyone knows about this program. Also another one thrown out there does anyone know if there is any scholarships for those who have chronic pain/RSD? I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Erikka

Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

txmomof3 HB User
Re: Chronic Pain/ RSD Scholarships?

That is an excellent question! Although I am not currently working, I am a RN and Pedi NP. I worked for 7 years as a nurse before going on disability for rheumatic fever. About a year later, I destroyed my ankle...and now have RSD from my toes to mid-thigh. There are several areas of nursing I could return to, but my husband is an ER Nurse Practitioner and we have three kids. We decided it was best that I stay home for now due to my limited energy/functionality from RSD.

I have a SCS and it has enabled me to come off of most of my medications. My only concern is practicing while on narcotics. The Board of Nurse Examiners (BNE) has said it is ok as long as you are medically and psychologically cleared (to make sure you are not impaired by the meds). Personally, I don't know that I would do patient care while on narcotics because of the lawsuit factor. God forbid, if something goes wrong with one of your patients, I don't think a jury would look favorably on the narcotic use. This scares me because the jury is made up of people from the general community who do not have an understanding of the difference between pain management and recreational drug use.

<removed> I am not trying to scare you out of becoming a nurse...I just want to give you some things to think about. I promise I am not all gloom and doom! I think that your history would make you a great nurse. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-13-2007 at 04:36 AM. Reason: do not discuss off-site contact

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

txmomof3 HB User
Re: Chronic Pain/ RSD Scholarships?

Sorry...I did not mean to break the rules! I use another message board that is formatted similar to this one and am used to typing "PM me." I will make sure that I don't do that on this board.

Closed Thread