It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

zimfour HB User
Male Nurse Issues

-I was wondering if there are any of us with issues that center around the gender of our profession.
-Thank You for your time, any thoughts left here might increase our numbers!

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Male Nurse Issues

I'm an RRT, went into the field largely due to my hospital experiences as a patient after back surgery years ago. I would have gone into nursing if my back wasn't so bad.

I can tell you from the patient's point of view that even as a shy and very modest 18 year old, I much preferred the male nurses. They were stronger and could move me without hurting me so much. And I was a skinny little thing, not heavy at all.

From the hospital worker's point of view, there are always patients who respond better to different personalities and genders. It was always a blessing to have a few guys on the floor to give things balance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Male Nurse Issues

Aside from the occasional shy patient, I see male nurses accepted just as well as females, where I work. I don't know if part of that is bc I work in a teaching facility and we get all sorts of folks or not, but I have also been a patient and didn't really care one way or another. I think what matters is beside manner-no matter what the gender.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
(female)

carwashidiot HB User
Smile Re: Male Nurse Issues

One of the best experiences I've had was with a male nurse. After I had my son I ended up having to have an IV put in. For several days I was not allowed to hold him because of the IV. One day as I sat on my bed crying cause I couldn't hold him a MALE nurse said that he'd sit with me while I got to hold him. All the female nurses couldn't have cared why I was crying and depressed.

Closed Thread