It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

Popestar HB User
My career...I need desprate help...

Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool...as in, ive failed a few classes, and i averaged Ds and Cs........it was mainly because of an abusive houshold situation and drug problem i have pulled out of finally...

i really want to be a doctor more then anything in the world and i would do anything i can to become one....my parents tell me i will never become one because of my past grades, and same with my friends. i havnt spoken to my councilor but i am assuming that she well either say i can or cant, without giving me much help...

i need to know the brutally honest truth, is there any way to pull back from my screwing up in highschool and actually have a chance at becoming a physician..or should i just give up on my dreams now and look for another thing to do...please, please this is not a joke, i really dont know where else to find answers at this point....i dont feel like anyone could really be honest with me but a complete stranger.

please and thank you.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
(female)

maree89 HB User
Re: My career...I need desprate help...

If you've screwed up in highschool you can always go to tafe (i dont know where u live but in australia it's tafe) And you do different courses which bring down ur Overall Position (OP) which is a good thing.. Then if it's low enough you can get into uni after that futher study at tafe.
this may not be much help cuz i dont know how things work over there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

Popestar HB User

no we dont have that

Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Don't give up! If that's your dream, you can work hard and get there. It's too bad you didn't do so well for the first few years of high school, but if you buckle down and suddenly start getting A's and B's, think what an impact that will make on those who don't encourage you right now. If you want them to take you seriously, show them you mean it! Talk to your teachers and get extra help it you need it. Teachers who see you making a strong effort and truly improving will be happy to write you a letter of recommendation for college. They'll say how motivated you became and how hard you worked to turn yourself around.

When you apply to colleges, if you have trouble getting in because of your past grades, go to community college for two years and get an associates degree in science. If you do that, a 4 year college will take you seriously and you'll get in. And as a bonus you'll have two years worth of credits to transfer for a lot less expense!

Dreams take work, but if you want it badly enough, it will be well worth it!

I wish you success,
Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 02-06-2008 at 02:54 AM.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

If you truly want to be a doctor then start improving your grades. You can start out going to a Junior College. Take classes that will help such as Anatomy and Physiology. When you graduate the JC you will have proof what you can do Then apply at a regular college. The following is my brothers story, of course this all happened in the 60's but I would think it would be the same today.
My brother dropped out of high school. He took the GED joined the Marine corps. When he got out he used his GI bill to go to a JC and then on to a 4 year college. He got grants along the way and ended up doing his doctorate at UCLA. My family had no money to help him. He did it all on his own. He now has his PHD in Psychology.
Where there is a will there is a way.
I am not suggesting you join the military. That was just how my brother did it. You can get loans. If you are willing to work as a doctor in a poor or rural area there is some help with loan repayment. I don't have the answers to that but know it exists. Some of the docs on the reservations are there for that reason.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
(male)

Popestar HB User

i give up....i got strait A's this last semester (2 semesters of four classes a year)
and my GPA is only 1.3 still.....maybe it really just is a "dream"

Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

You could join the military and work in the medical field. Your are allowed to take college classes while you are in the military that are held on base or through an on-line college. You will also attend an "A" school where you will learn to become a corpsman. I was in the military and I knew a female doctor who began was a medical corpsman in the Navy and she decided to get out and the Montgomery G.I. Bill helped pay for her college in the mean time and she came back to the Navy as an officer and a doctor. That is something you could consider because the money will be taken care of for the most part and you will gain real experience immediately and school and you can move on from there. Or, have you condsidered natural or alternative medicine? Best of luck to you!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

popestar,
Don't give up! You can most certainly achieve your dream. I know it seems impossible at times, but your hard work will make a difference and get you to where you want to go. I understand where are you are coming from, I slacked off in high school and didn't get the grades I should have. But in the end I did go to college-although quite a few years after high school-and I graduated on the dean's list.. Like the other posters said, go to a junior or community college, then on to a four year or med school or whatever you need go to become a doctor. Talk to your counselor at school about what you are trying to do, they could help you. I know it's hard to keep going when you don't see results as soon as you would like, but the good grades will be on your transcripts, proof to any college that you are smart and a hard worker who deserves a chance to reach your goal. Also congrats on the straight A's! That's awesome! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
P.S. I bet you will make a great doctor.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
(male)

Popestar HB User

everything you guys say really helps. im gonna keep doing what im doing and go to a community college, ive posted on another site too and man, everything means just so much to me, i can actualy archive it, and im gonna be the best damn internal medicine doctor of our time, i dont even question it anymore

Closed Thread