It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
(female)

wcrenee HB User
Any way to Transform My BS in business to a BSN or something?

December 22 I graduated with a B.S in Business, I think I chose the wrong major however. I am interested in finding out what the most direct route would be to becoming an RN or obtaining a BSN.

Boy if I would have known or paid attention to the fact that there was a shortage of nurses earlier.... Anyway, am a stay at home daughter, I take care of my mom who has MS. My interest in becoming an RN started because of 1. The need for nurses(job security) and 2. My mother recieves the services from home health agencies weekly and the girls that are employed by these agencies are the pits. For my internship I did a project about what it would take to open a home health agency on my own, because I know I could do a better job providing service to my community over the other agencys in my area. I found out that the process to become licened is pretty easy in the state of PA, It's just being able to accept medicare payments(steady source of revenue) requires you to have a doctor or RN on your staff... this is where the RN thing comes in, so I figure if I somehow could obtain mine maybe I can get a little business started.

Maybe the business thing is a little far fetched, but atleast becoming an RN could lead to a stable job and further on to becoming a nurse anesthetist which I think is another cool job in the nursing field.

Any Ideas on how to go from a BS to a BSN? I would be grateful for any feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Any way to Transform My BS in business to a BSN or something?

Look into post-Baccalaureate programs in nursing. I have a friend who did that, and many, many schools offer them.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I don't know the name of the school, but my son-in-law has gone back to school to become a nurse. They live outside of Atlanta. He currently has his Masters in Marine Biology. He went back to school last fall in an accelerated nursing program that lasts 18 months. He should graduated about the first of the year (January, 2009) and they take his current degrees into consideration. All that said, he'll have a MSN.

I wish I had more information for you, but maybe you could do some looking and search for nursing schools. His is actual in class and in hospital training. Not an on-line school. Right now he is working in the ER of a local hospital.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Usually you just have to get those sciences done, and math then the nursing sequence. An ADN would be quicker and maybe better unless you want to go into management. I know many BSN and ADN alike, and see no difference in education or salary-I don't want my BSN because I am happy being a staff nurse. Sure, someday I may change my mind, but right now, fine with it. I even do know folks in management who are NOT BSN. Depends on where you work. But, you could def look into both options-and then there are classes offered both eves and days. So much more to choose from these days. Now if we can only get enough teachers to teach!

Closed Thread