It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

runner600 HB User
Going back to work as an x-ray tech after 8 years

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get back at work after 8 years. I have always wanted to get back but time just slipped away. I have prepared a resume and cover letter and am not sure where to start. Or what I should do to be ready to start working.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
(female)

runner600 HB User
advice on going back to work as an x-ray tech after 8 years

Any advice or has anyone here went back to work in medical or x-ray after long leave. Should I volunteer my time to refresh or just apply and expect training from new employer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Going back to work as an x-ray tech after 8 years

Is there an online support group for xray tech's. there are several for most all professions. So much has changed in 8 years with new and different equipment...have you kept up with what the new things are and what is happening in the patient rights and all that sort of thing. Do you have to have a certificate or what do you need to now work in your state as an xray tech after 8 years? If you haven't been to a workshop in a long while see what is avail in your area or call your local hospital and see if you can talk with one of the tech's. I know with most medical professionals they have to have so many work hours or continuing education hours to be able to renew their licenses or certificates every year or so. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

Have you kept up your CEU'S? They must be up to date or you cannot do an x-ray.
I did not work when my children were small. That was for 10 years. During that time phototiming came along as well as the
c- arm in OR. I was told how difficult it would be to get back into it.
Well I was hired by a level 1 trauma center and it was sink or swim. I found photiming made life much easier with the exception of surgery and no wet processing.

In the last 8 years the only change as far as a diagnostic tech would be digital and that is easy to learn. You will not have any problems with it.
If you can remember positioning then you should be fine but as I said you MUST have all CEU"S up to date and I am assuming you kept your license paid each year also.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
(female)

runner600 HB User

Hi I no it's been a while since I have responded to your reply. I see, like myself, you have been away from x-ray employment as well. You seemed to jump right in and do fine. Yes, I have kept my license current through the 9 years I have been away from the field. I need to get back to work do to the economy. It's so hard. I am now 47 and have been out of the loop for 9 years, The only thing I have going for me is I am in great physical shape for my age. I have been a fitness trainer for the past 10 years and taught fitness classes for 20. Now I just have to convince an employer to hire me for a tech position. any ideas.

Closed Thread