It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

RMA2B HB User
Career Advice Needed

I've been browsing through the posts here and I hear a lot of negativity about becoming a Medical Assistant. This worries me because I am just a few months away from graduation with a certificate in Medical Assisting.
I really love working with people and have a strong interest in the medical field. Nurturing is just in my nature.
Now I'm wondering if I've made a mistake? Maybe I should go the RN route? I'd really like to hear from other healthcare professionals regarding this issue. I want to make sure that I've got the right fit so to speak. Textbook knowledge can't compete with hands on experience.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

intrinsicdreams HB User
Re: Career Advice Needed

I believe med assistants do mostly paperwork, scheduling appts, updating & filing med records, help complete insurance forms, answering phones, handling bookkeeping, billing, etc..But I have known a few that did some patient education in regard to special diets, took medical histories, helped prepare patients for exams, remove sutures & change dressings. I think a lot depends on who you are working for, what kind of office it is, etc..You seem to be very interested in "hands on" care & I'm wondering why you didn't become a nurse. Nurses do a ton of "hands on" care, not to mention the fact that nurses make at least twice as much money. But there is & will continue to be a high demand for both nurses & med assistants. Maybe if you get your certificate to be a med assistant & obtain employment as such, you will be very happy with your career choice. If I were you, I would really check into what your job responsibilities are going to be since they seem to vary so much from office to office. Maybe you can find an employer looking for a med assist that is willing to take on some patient care other than or along with all the paperwork. If not, maybe you should check into going back to school to be a nurse. I guarantee you will get all the "hands on" care you seem to desire & probably more than you desire. If I'm correctly reading what you are saying, you would most likely be a fantastic nurse! It's a shame that there aren't more nurses with your attitude & enthusiasm. To be honest, I'm hoping that someday you will be a nurse cause I think you've got what it takes to be one-a very good one at that!! Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

RMA2B HB User
Re: Career Advice Needed

Thanks for the advice. The more I am learning about the responsibilities of
a MA, the more I am leaning toward going on to become a nurse. I've been
told by several instructors that I can use my MA certification as a stepping
stone on my way to obtaining a nursing degree. Several of the places that
hire fresh Mas will pay, at least in part, to continue their education toward a nursing degree. As much as I feel nursing would be a better choice for me I am a little concerned about age. I'm 39 years old. Is that too late to obtain a nursing degree?

Thanks to the user that replied to my original post. Reply again if you'd like. I'd love to hear from you. That goes for anyone who has an opinion on the matter one way or the other.

Thanks again

RMA2B

Closed Thread