It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

pinklady22 HB User
Nursing School and Vaccines

Hello everyone. I am currently enrolled in graduate school and I am considering and weighing the idea of going to nursing school. I have a concern though about vaccines. I have been vaccinated my whole life. When I was 19 I received my first round of the Hep vaccine and the very next day after the shot a lymph node pop up in my neck- long story short I was diagnosed with IIA Hodgkins. I have been in remission for 5 years and have surely kicked the thing.

I have not received any vaccines since this event. I am not a crazy type of person who is anti-vaccine and my children will be the first in line to get theirs. However, I have great hesitance in getting any remaining vaccines that may be required. This hesitance may be hard for some people to understand. Although I do not believe the vaccine caused the cancer, even my father (who is an MD) is uncomfortable at the thought of exposing me to vaccines. We are not really sure what the connection is between the two- most likely it was a bizarre immune response, or the vaccine simply brought out the cancer more quickly.

Anyways, I am wondering if the vaccines I do have will be enough. I have received most of them. I would most likely claim a medical exemption to the remaining vaccines. My question is whether this will this prevent me from working as a nurse? I know my oncologist will be more than willing to write an exemption. I am assuming that a medical exemption to a vaccine would be more accepted than a religious exemption. For instance if someone suffers from seizures after receiving a vaccine will they be prevented from pursuing their dream of being a nurse? Thank you for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
(female)

TDCB HB User
Re: Nursing School and Vaccines

As long as you can get a waiver, you should be fine. As far as working as a nurse, you'll just have to take extra precautions around patients who may be infected with certain illnesses. But, personal protective equipment (mask, gown, gloves) will be available to you. So as long as you take the extra step to be careful, you should be fine. I'm an ER nurse, and have never been asked if I was up to date on my shots, so I wouldn't think that would exclude you from a job opportunity. Good luck! Nursing is the BEST!

Closed Thread