It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #1

bellahf01 HB User
Nurse Practitioner vs Physician Assistant

what is the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician Assistant? and n command which one is higher

Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Nurse Practitioner vs Physician Assistant

I have a nurse practitioner in the family and I know she has a Master's degree in nursing and in a specific field. They can practice on their own and can prescribe on their own. A physician's assistant has less schooling(but I'm not sure how much...I think it's a 4 year program)and must practice under the supervision of a physician. They do dispense prescriptions but the have to be co-signed by the physicians. The nurse practitioner is a higher level than a PA.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

wendeemic HB User

Neither one holds a higher rank. PA's and NP's improve access healthcare for many Americans. Im married to a PA so Im a little biased....sorry.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
(male)

Phillydude2011 HB User

They do not have less schooling... All PAs have bachelors degrees and goto graduate school. 99% of them are masters. The licensing is the same in every state. As far as practicing medicine, PAs have superior training. PAs are trained by doctors. PA school is a shortened medical school. NPs are great practitioners but the training is more researched based and alot of their "medical" knowledge came from when they were in their nursing program. PA are employed by physicians and work with physicians and do not have their hands held by physicians as many nurses like to say... Nps are attempting to become equal to a physician in the eyes to patients and this is a scary thought. The whole "independence" thing isnt going to fly well in the future considering the lack of graduate medical education they get (yet their still hold "doctorates")

Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
(female)

ladyabby HB Userladyabby HB User

Hi,
I work with both PAs and Nurse Practitioners and from my experience, the nurse practitioners hold a higher degree of schooling and experience. The PAs that I work with went to a 2 year physician's assistant program and the Nurse Practitioners are all RNs with a masters degree. Both work under the supervision of the doctors, at least in my office they do. A physician must be in the building while they see patients.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Licensed nurse practitioners can have a stand alone practice with no physician supervising. A PA cannot. Perhaps the biggest difference.

Jenny

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

Anna04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Licensed nurse practitioners can have a stand alone practice with no physician supervising. A PA cannot. Perhaps the biggest difference.

Jenny
exactly. The biggest difference. Because of this, the perception of NPs is more prestigious. Unfortunately many people don't understand the role of a PA, which is very important one too.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I agree. The nurse practitioner in my family I would not trust to "tap" my knee joints and remove fluid but the PA's in my ortho's office do it better than the doc himself!

Jenny

Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

braccine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellahf01 View Post
what is the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician Assistant? and n command which one is higher
The biggest difference in these two professions are the regulating boards of the state you are in. CNP do have prescribing authority as do PA in most staes both have to be signed by a physician within a certain amount of time. A cnp or advanced practice nurse has at least a masters and many you will find hold doctorates and can bill for services independently of a physician, diagnose, treat, etc etc. Both enhance the healthcare system. Because they usually specialize in one area and become very educated on that subjest. cnp however are coming from a nursing background and as such should be very patient oriented, compassionate and knowledgeable. As for who has more command, both in one way or another work under the supervision of the leader of the healthcare team---the practicing physician. although due to the current healthcare system cnp are getting more autonomy

Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
(female)

kind1 HB User

Both the NP and PA may need a master's degree, and the NP needs to first get a bachelor's of science in nursing (BSN). There may be more of a need for NP than PA though it can also depend on geographic location. It seems as though PAs may find more work in rural or inner-city areas.

For general career information - Bureau of Labor Statistics/Occupational Outlook Handbook: http://www.bls/gov/oco and can type into search.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
(male)

ninjax117 HB User

Can you make just as much with a bachelors in PA than masters?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
(female)

kind1 HB User

I actually believe that most PA programs are at the Master's degree level which means about six years of college if attend on a full-time basis.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
(female)

mrssmith22 HB User

QUOTE=Phillydude2011;4260572]They do not have less schooling... All PAs have bachelors degrees and goto graduate school. 99% of them are masters. The licensing is the same in every state. As far as practicing medicine, PAs have superior training. PAs are trained by doctors. PA school is a shortened medical school. NPs are great practitioners but the training is more researched based and alot of their "medical" knowledge came from when they were in their nursing program. PA are employed by physicians and work with physicians and do not have their hands held by physicians as many nurses like to say... Nps are attempting to become equal to a physician in the eyes to patients and this is a scary thought. The whole "independence" thing isnt going to fly well in the future considering the lack of graduate medical education they get (yet their still hold "doctorates")[/QUOTE]

Nurse practitioners go to school to achieve a master's or beyond. You go for your associate, get some in the field training, go for your bachelors, get some in the field training, go for your master's, and so on it is not as easy as you are putting it out there to be. By the time you achieve your master's you will have experience not only in the profession with said degrees, you do go to school and advance in knowledge its not nursing it's specialties and everything that prepares you to be able to write prescriptions, diagnose, treat, etc. It prepares you enough to be able to open a practice and not work under a physician because each time you return to school, you advance in school. Your logic fails.

Last edited by mrssmith22; 03-19-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
(female)

ladybug86 HB User

I am an RN and work with both NP and PA. I too am torn between which path to go down. from my experience and research they are subtley different, but neither is "higher" than the other. PA's do have to work under a MD but they can write orders and prescribe drugs. They also have the added bonus of being able to assist in the OR, which unless you get certified as an RN first assist you can't do as an NP. NP's have more autonomy they can practice independently. In arizona it is now a requirement to have your doctorate to become an NP. i have worked with both and both are well trained, intelligent, and i have never heard a patient complaint about not trusting them because they try to be doctors. If these people wanted to be doctors they would have gone to medical school.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
(female)

tara g HB User

The fundamental difference between PA's and NP's, as midlevel medical providers, is that the PA is able to work and switch to virtually any medical specialty area of practice while the NP is focused into a particular primary care area.

Because of the collaborative basis of PA practice (working under the supervision of physicians), an opportunity for continuing and diverse expertise in many specialty areas is possible.

This allows situations where, for example, a PA who switches from an orthopedics (or cardiology) practice to emergency medicine may provide more musculoskeletal injury (cardiology) experience and understanding to this new setting, than the supervising ER doctor.

This maneuverability between specialties, creates not only a career choice of unlimited professional growth possibilities and also can add a unique (generalist with multiple specialty training) dimension to any healthcare specialty team.

Closed Thread