It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Chrissyg09 HB User
Arrow Wondering how I go about being a caregiver on my own

I currently work for an employer for non medical home health I've been doing now for 10 years, My thing is that i would like to do it on my own. Being my own boss. Getting my name out and having people want me to help them around there house with cleaning and errands and personal care. I'm wondering if I have to have like any more Certification or anything for me to try to do it on my own. I am certified in C.P.R. Any idea on howw I should go about this. Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Wondering how I go about being a caregiver on my own

Chrissy, depending on the state you live in, the certification is different. There are many levels of caregivers, from Home health aids, to Certified Nurse Assistants to Hopsice Aids and even companions...
In NJ, where I live, my company employs all of them. Each level of certification has differnt schooling, from 6 months to 2 years. Most community colleges and some vo-tech schools offer these certifications.
I would check with an agency whom already has this type of offering, to see if they train their people, or where they suggest getting the training. Contact the local Community College and VoTech schools and start reasearching. There is an enomrous need for caregivers, especially if you like working with Seniors...
good luck.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread