It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

alma52 HB User
is the age of 52 too old to become a nurse ?

Am I too old become anurse at the age of fifty two? I am in good health ,but I would have to work
while I go to school .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: is the age of 52 too old to become a nurse ?

I think it's a wonderful idea! Nurses are well needed, even in this economy. I say go for it!

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

lblackmon12 HB User

I dont think so, I have the same reservation. I have always wanted to be a nurse I am about to become 50. We can do it!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

DDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB User

When I went to Nursing school to become and RN I was 25-27 but in my class there were people in their 50s. I think if you're healthy why not? When you graduate you will have a good 10-15 years working as a Nurse and build up your pension. Passion for your job will keep you going. Watch your back though I injured myself at 47. Best wishes.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
(male)

jsflynn603 HB User

Been there, done that and just got bounced out of a wonderful job (a positive thing actually since my pay and benefits had been cut so terribly).

If you have the energy age is not an issue. Many patients equate an older age with the person being "wiser," and oftentimes the older person "is."

Working part time in a full-time program will probably kill you though. Nursing programs are intense if full-time. There are some part-time ones though, in NH there is an evening ADN that (I think) takes three years.

Don't assume that you cannot get grants/scholarships etc. that allow you to go full time. Oftentimes the worse off a person is, the easier it is to get grants/scholarships.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
(female)

manx137 HB User

Absolutely not! There was a woman in my graduating class who was 62 when we graduated. She had always wanted to be a nurse, was healthy enough to do it so she did. We (the younger ones) were very impressed with her determination to live her dream at any age. Go for it!!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
(male)

SamLowel HB User

Nope! My mom graduated from nursing school at the age of 55. She said that it took her that long to figure out what she wanted to do with her life! Go for it!

Closed Thread