It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User
CNA Caregiver Question

I am a certified Nurse Aid & will be going on a cruise with my current employer a close friend of a close friend. This is a short 4 day cruise in our local area. Normally I work for them only a few hours a day. I have no idea what to charge. I have a daughter who will stay with my folks. I will be with this elderly couple (the woman has alzheimers) the whole trip except when sleeping and my cabin is across from theirs. HELP I don't know what to do.....

Suggestions???????

I make very little per hour and I don't work full time.

Its very hard to find a job where I live.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User
Re: CNA Caregiver Question

Are there not even any sort of suggestions anyone can offer???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Well, how much are you paid per hour? The obvious charge is the amount of hours that you're responsible for her care times your hourly rate. If you're not responsible for night time care, I wouldn't think that time should be included in your rate.

Are they paying for your cruise ship expenses? If so, that makes it harder. Some people might say that you're getting a "free vacation" and shouldn't charge anything or charge minimally. Will you be responsible for her care during all waking hours, or will you have free time?

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-23-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

I will be responsible for her every hour she isn't asleep. I will have only free time to sleep. I am paid 8.50 per hour by the employer normally. I have to leave my child and this is not a vacation at all. Its not as if I can go on shore excursions or even smoke a cigarette.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrniidgrl View Post
I will be responsible for her every hour she isn't asleep. I will have only free time to sleep. I am paid 8.50 per hour by the employer normally. I have to leave my child and this is not a vacation at all. Its not as if I can go on shore excursions or even smoke a cigarette.
Sure, I understand that you're "working" and it's not a vacation for you. It is no doubt a very difficult job.

I would think that you could at least ask for $8.50/hour for your full waking hours. So, if you're primarily responsible for care for 16 hours, $136/day. Also, I think that you should be reimbursed for any childcare expenses for whoever may be watching your child.

I don't think that you'd be out of line for asking for time for the sleeping hours either, since you have to leave your child. They should at least give you half-pay for your commitment.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

Thanks so much for your response!! I spoke to a few others today at my Sat & Sun job and they said the same thing.

Closed Thread