It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

pancakesyum HB User
Ultrasound Tech or medical job with least physical labor? *

I'm 25 and looking for a career in medicine with the least physical labor. I became EMT certified right before developing an orthostatic intolerance, and obviously can't perform that job. I can do some walking but I can get tachycardic when standing for long periods or exercising.

My mother is an RN and told me that being an ultrasound technician wouldn't involve much physical labor?

However, I just read online "Most jobs will require the UT to be on his or her feet all day, but otherwise the job is not normally overly strenuous."

Any help would be great! I need a steady job in order to eventually pay off my educational loans (was going to school to become a PA) and medical bills.

Last edited by pancakesyum; 01-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
(male)

jsflynn603 HB User
Re: Ultrasound Tech or medical job with least physical labor? *

A CLS (Clinical Laboratory Scientist) or MT (Medical Technologist) would likely work very well since you would spend most of your time sitting and if you have prior college credits you can easily attain the Associates's degree in two years.

Ultrasound will have you running about like the proverbial chicken who has lost it's head and you may have some work where you have to move people about which could be strenuous, the same goes for Rad-tech.

There are RN jobs where sitting is common such as on the phone response lines that are often found in pediatric sections.... you also may find research jobs which give you more "sitting" time, and freedom to control your environment.

Under ADA the issue will come up during the post-hire physical. If where you have just been hired is large, they must accommodate you if they can do so "reasonably." But if you aim (as you are) towards finding a orthostatic intolerant proof job at the start you should do fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: Ultrasound Tech or medical job with least physical labor? *

You'd mentioned ultrasound technician (which is now referred to as a "diagnostic medical sonographer"), there are *not* supposed to be too many jobs these days including for radiologic technologists (which used to be referred to as x-ray technician). Regarding nursing, please be aware that even though some jobs may be less physically strenuous, the students must get through their clinicals which involves lifting, moving and transferring patients and a lot of standing and physical activity.

How about talking with a vocational rehab counselor at the local county vocational rehabilitation center. Perhaps you can go through an interest checklist regarding your strengths and interests and narrow down the career opportunities. (Just fyi that there are a lot of tv commercials on tv for medical billing & coding and medical assistant, and, unfortunately, the jobs are very scarce with that field, too. The field is saturated.)

This government site has general career information: http://www.bls.gov/oco and can type into search for whatever career that piques one's interest.

Closed Thread