It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

fancy6282 HB User
medical administrative assistant???

Hello !
I have a couple questions hopefully someone can help me with. I'm thinking of enrolling in an online medical administrative assistant program (the school is Penn Foster). It is a diploma program. Is this considered 'formal secretarial training'? (i've noticed a lot of job requirements say 'formal secretarial training preferred') Also, is a medical administrative assistant and a health unit secretary/coordinator pretty much the same thing?? Thanks so much!!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
(female)

kizz3s HB User
Re: medical administrative assistant???

I wouldn't waste your money on it. Administrative Assistant/Secretary positions are most likely entry level and all you need is basically a high school diploma and customer service experience/people skills. I've been an Admitting Receptionist for over 4 years and I haven't even started college, i'm making excellent money, have a job I love in a hospital setting, and have no student loans!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

kind1 HB User

I realize that the original post was made over a year ago, but I just wanted to caution you to *avoid* those private overly priced For-profit schools as they're merely out to "make a profit" (** and their course credits usually do NOT transfer to other schools). Please instead consider the more affordable community college or even the county vo-tech school as long as the program is accredited within the industry.

With regard to administrative assistant jobs, please be aware that some employers prefer applicants with a bachelor's (four-year) degree, perhaps due to them acting as office manager, too.

For general career info, here is a government site (as we're allowed to post ".gov" sites on these boards): http://www.bls.gov/ooh and can type into search.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

Caligurl266 HB User

Definitely don't waste your money...just start applying to the jobs and let them know you have previous experience in an office setting. I have been an admin assistant in a medical field for 6 years and the new people they hire don't have educational training because its not mandatory.

Reply Reply