It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
(female)

NJ11 HB User
How to become a sonographer...

Hello I am currently attending a community college in the Bay Area (California) and want to further my education to become an ultrasound technician. I have some questions though about the best way to go about it.
I am looking into schools accredited by the CAAHEP and have found there are very few bachelor degree programs in sonography, and there are none in California. While I am not opposed to moving, staying in California would be ideal. So I guess my main questions are:
Is it beneficial (as far as hiring, pay, etc) to get a bachelors in sonography?
Is it beneficial to get a bachelors in a related field and then get an AA or certification in sonography?
Is there a big difference between going to a community college and getting an AA in sonography versus going to a private school for certification?
If I did go to a private school (i.e. Kaiserís program in Richmond, CA) would there be any problems getting hired somewhere other than Kaiser with my education being tied to them?
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated as I am trying to gather as much information as possible. Thank you in advance!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How to become a sonographer...

Well, a community college is a very good place to get a degree in that type of field. The tuition is low and usually the program is respectable. However, because it's so inexpensive, they tend to be VERY competitive. The college itself presumably has open admissions, but you probably have to apply to that particular program. Check the requirements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

Peggyloo HB User
Re: How to become a sonographer...

If you can get into a community college program (that is accredited) that would be the best, financially speaking. Kaiser's program sounds very good, and has a very high pass rate on the certification exam (95%.) They are also accredited. I am applying to Kaiser's program in Stockton because it is closer to my home in Sacramento. (Be aware that their program is HIGHLY competitive.)

Closed Thread