It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

rachellef HB User
AAS RN hiring trouble?

Hey everyone!

I am new to the board but I am trying to figure out what to do next to start my career as a nurse. I just graduated with my BS in Psych and am looking into the AAS nursing program at Concorde or other Community College. I have tried to apply to the Accelerated BSN programs in my state (CO) but have not been accepted due to lack of patient care/contact (I have no CNA, LPN, ect) My question is that if I go to the AAS program will I be able to find a job as an RN without a BSN? I have a BS already just not in nursing and if I get my AAS I will probably go for the RN to MSN programs. I just want to make sure that there are still places hiring new AAS grads to gain experience.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
Re: AAS RN hiring trouble?

I may be wrong, but I believe the accelerated BSN program you mention is likely to be designed for people who do not have any sort of BS/BA degree, yet have hands on experience in patient care. You on the other hand have the advantage of already completing a BS program in another discipline, therefore you already have completed a core curriculum. I would look at BSN programs, compare the prerequisites they require with the coursework you already have, consult with their admissions counselor about any gaps you need to fill (hopefully not many) and then apply directly to BSN programs. Remember, the first 2 years of most 4 year degrees are spent on core coursework. You may well be able to complete a BSN in little more time than an ASN degree would take, yet you would greatly benefit from the higher level BSN degree over the course of your career.

Should you find that you still need to look at the ASN degree, I believe there are no worries about finding a job providing direct patient care. I believe the ASN degree will only hold you back if you are interested in further pursuing advanced care programs (like becoming a Certified Nurse Anesthetist, Certified Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife, etc...) or are interested in a management track career.

Good luck to you on your educational pursuits, whatever they turn out to be!
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread