It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

one4u HB User
HIPAA and texting

I thought I would post this here, and I am hoping someone on healthboards might be able to help me out with this one.

I work in the admin department of a small hospital and we have a lot of doctors texting patient info to other doctors and admin. The problem is that I found out that the HIPAA laws opens the hospital and doctors up to lawsuits if their phone is lost or stolen since they keep the text messages and patient info on the phone.

I am looking for ways to have the doctors use a HIPAA compliant from of text messaging and emails. The only thing I have so far found is Tigertext, which automatically deletes the text after a set period of time.

Does anyone know of another system like Tigertext, or something that will also work for email?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
(female)

merri2 HB User
Re: HIPAA and texting

Sorry no the dr's at my hospital are not allowed to text pt data at all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Nyclin HB User

Texting info seems very immature IMO. Also, lazy. I wouldn't ever imagine texting patient info to my co-workers just because it seems unprofessional to me.

I also think it's bad because the doctor could easily text the wrong contact and his cousin or girlfriend might receive it instead. I don't mean to offend anyone, but ugh...what is this world coming to?!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
(female)

merri2 HB User

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

one4u HB User

I thought I would update this post.

Our hospital eventually got Tigertext and did a limited test of it with a few doctors and a few people in admin. After 3 months, we have found an increase in productivity and the doctors seem to been able to increase patient processing by 10%.

Since then, we have now gotten most of our doctors on it, but we give them training in how to use Tigertext in order to be HIPAA compliant.

What really convinced us to try Tigertext, was 3 things:

1) They now have about 250 healthcare facilities using it
2) It is not SMS, it is a private secure network and are HIPAA compliant
3) All the other secure text messaging services we looked at, couldn't actually prove HIPAA compliance

So, hopefully this helps people/doctors and shows there are some HIPAA compliant texting options out there.

Reply Reply