It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
(male)

jephph HB User
Where Can I find HIPAA Rules and regulations

Please don't point me to the official HHS HIPAA website. I need very specific information. I took a test recently, and there were many questions on the test that were not explained in the book I studied. I've looked through many different sites, and still can't find the information. Here are some of the questions (most related to HIPAA laws and/or recommendations):
1. When going paperless, after scanning PHI, should the paper be securely disposed of, or sent through a secure courier to a secure location?
2. If a person is using 3 apps within an EMR, how many unique logons should they have? (0,1,2,3)
3. What is the minimum number of times a PHI file should be rewritten in order to be considered sanitized? (1,5,7,10)
4. What is the maximum password age? (30days, 45days, 75days, 90days)
5. A help desk ticket is sent in asking for modified permissions to part of an EMR, who should you escalate the ticket to? (Network admin, Security admin, Database admin, System admin)
6. What is the minimum resolution for scanning documents into an EMR? (200dpi, 300dpi, 500dpi, 800dpi)
7. Which is the preferred method of disposing of PHI? (Sanitizing, Degaussing)

This information is definitely not in the book that I studied, and I'm having a real tough time finding it online as well. If someone who works in Healthcare IT knows the answers, please let me know. A link to these specific HIPAA rules and regulations would also be very helpful. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Where Can I find HIPAA Rules and regulations

I think that those are criteria set up probably thru AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) for proper handling of HIPPA information. You might check withe them or a person who has a RHIA certification. You can do a search for all of these. I doubt that the HIPPA set up the processes but only the requirements for what information needs to be controlled.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
(male)

jephph HB User

Ok, I called AHIMA, and they sent me to HHS. HHS sent me to a person who didn't know why I would be sent to them. They then sent me to some automated thing that only gave me options for things that had nothing to do with what I was looking for, and didn't take messages. Do you know anyone who could answer these questions? I don't know why these would be on the test if HIPAA doesn't regulate them. In the exam objectives, there is no listing for AHIMA.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I just know that the HIPPA law itself does not lay out specifics as you stated. I used to belong to records management orgranization called ARMA but they are not health records specific like AHIMA and other orgs are. Is this a course or an employer training? I know someone who has the RHIA certification so maybe if you checked at a local hospital records office someone there could help you. I just assumed one of the health information professionals orgs would know. Maybe try HIMSS?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
(male)

jephph HB User

It's relatively new. It's the CompTIA Healthcare IT certification. I don't know where CompTIA got the information that it tests on, but you're right, I can't seem to find anything related to HIPAA or any other organizations listed in the objectives related to Healthcare IT that sets regulations about those questions I posted.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

It really sounds corporate specific. I saw a lot of test prep on their web site...a little costly though.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
(male)

jephph HB User

Yeah, I bought the Element K kit. That's the one I was referring to that doesn't have the information to answer those questions. Other than that, there's only a short practice test. Even the practice test has questions that can't be answered by the study material they have on their website.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

I guess that another book is required for that information? I didn't really serach the site but is there personal contact possible? If so, I suggest contacting them and asking which book has that information.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
(male)

jephph HB User

I've contacted CompTIA. They were unable to give me any further information.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Contact your nearest chapter of HIMSS or AHIMA. Someone there should be able to help you. THeir web sites should have local chapter information. I'd send you to ARMA but they might have to search around for someone with health information management specific training as most of them don't belong to ARMA.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
(male)

jephph HB User

So, you have to be a member of AHIMA in order to talk to anyone who knows the information I need. I looked at membership, and you have to be enrolled in an AHIMA coding program. I called HIMSS, and she said unfortunately, they're a volunteer organization and most volunteers have full time jobs. She pointed me back to the HIMSS website, and suggested I used the search function and I may find answers in white papers. She said they try to be very thorough with their key words.
I've started sifting through information I can find on the HIMSS site, but it's not very encouraging. Just when I think I've found a link that will get me the answer I need for 1 question, the link is dead. I will continue to see if I can find answers to my questions.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

HIMMS has a map of local chapters that lists all the contacts for each chapter. Find the one nearest you and contact them.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
(male)

jephph HB User

I did that. I called the only one with a number, and e-mailed all the rest. Still waiting for responses.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Hopefully you'll get a reply!

Reply Reply