It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

SmilesforMiles HB User
Want to go to Medical School

I need some advice. I really want to go to medical school, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm getting in to. I have never been happy at a job, I need personal fulfillment. Life is really depressing with out a job, but then I always end up feeling the same way or worse when I have one. I always find myself dreading every day and I wish it was over before it has even begun. That's no way to go through life. I don't want to work any where. About 5 years ago I first got the idea to go to medical school, but I've just been dragging my feet about it I guess. I'm afraid, what if I can't do it? I'm not worried about the ambition and drive... I have that. But I want a family also. Will I have any time for my husband? When I have kids, will they spend their childhood with out me? Will I live a life outside of a hospital/doctor's office? Will I be able to take vacations and have a home life? These are all questions that plague me. I want to go to medical school to improve my quality of life, and the quality of my family's life, but would I just make it worse. But going to medical school has started to take over my thoughts. I dream about it when I'm sleeping. I need advice from people who have actually been there. Plus I have no support from my family... when I first mentioned this to my parents they laughed at me. No one in my family has been to college and let's just say they didn't expect much from me either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I'm 25 and just getting ready to finish my associateís degree, so I'm not exactly a spring chicken.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Want to go to Medical School

Smiles, Welcome to the healthboards.

I can't help you with information about med school, but have had friends who have gone through it and know that it will certainly occupy your life for several years.

The one thing that I would like to comment on is that you stated that you don't want a job. If this is so, you need to really consider if you want to be a doctor, because just like anything else in life, it is a job, and it will require work and commitment to it...just something to think about.

I hope you enjoy your time here on the boards. It's full of interesting smart people who help.

Last edited by ibake&pray; 06-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Before going to medical school you need to sit back, think seriously what you really want to be when you grow up. Some people go for years and years and have no idea what they want to do with their life. They dabble with this and that and stick to nothing. There is no free ride in life. You get out of life what you put into it.

I admire you for having the desire to better educate yourself and be the first in your family to move forward in education. I was the first in my family to get more than a high school education. If you have a true desire for better education you will succeed. You will learn how to skip and save every penny in order to make ends meet in the process as well as learn great work ethics.

Have you ever taken the test that some colleges give to see where your interest are? My daughter took this test in college and landed neither to the right or left, stayed in neutral. Needless to say she is now in her 50's, single, unemployed, and still does not know what she wants to be when she grows up, never happy in any job, never liked her bosses, etc. She is now working on her masters in a different field than what her bachelor degree was in. She is still searching for that wonderful job that requires little from her. This is a fruitless search because much is expected of us regardless of our professions.

Whether you work in a profession or whether you are a stay at home mom, you will WORK, there is no way out of that unless you plan on being a bum all your life. Many think being a stay at home mom is easy street, it is not, you work 24/7 it is not an 8-5 job.

Do you already have a bachelor degree? If so, you are ready for the next step in pursuing an interesting profession whether it be in medical or another field.

I know you will come to a conclusion and work on what is necessary to succeed.

Last edited by Misty800; 06-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
(female)

SmilesforMiles HB User

Perhaps I wasn't clear, my apologies. What I mean is that I never get any personal fulfillment from any other jobs that I've had. I want a career that actually means something to me. I feel a medical profession would mean something 2 fold. Not only would I get enjoyment from making a difference in people's lives, but also it would be fulfilling to go to a job everyday that I worked so very hard to achieve.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

SmilesforMiles HB User

I don't even have my associate's degree yet; I'm working towards that now. For some reason when I got out of high school I had the bright idea of putting off college for awhile and I see now where it has gotten me. Also, I didn't mean that I don't want to work in general... I don't want to work at a job performing some menial task, that doesn't actually mean anything in the big picture.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
(female)

kind1 HB User

Please realize that completing medical school (to become an M.D./medical doctor or D.O/doctor of osteopathic medicine) is supposed to be a grueling process. (They've also been known to break the student down to nil.) The medical student will basically have NO life outside of studying, memorizing, school papers, and learning various concepts. After the four years of medical school (and one usually needs a bachelor's/four-year degree before possibly getting accepted into medical school), and having done a medical internship (intern) in various areas of medicine, the person does their residency in a specialty for another 3-5 years. Then the person may be approved for a fellowship in a sub-specialty which can take 1-3 additional years of formal training.

Reply Reply