It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
What is YOUR definition of a healthy lifestyle?

Hi,
I try to lead a healthy lifestyle but unfortunately there is sooo much confusing and contradictory info out there that it can be merely frustrating and quite difficult to come up with a final conclusion of an ultimatey healthy diet. For example, some people say that wheat is bad for you and since I have constipation, one website will say eat losts of whole grains like All bran cereals and whole grain breads, (okay, that's loaded with wheat). And then I find out about how many people are suffering from adverse conditions due to wheat like acid reflex, asthma, rashes, diahrea, etc. So it's like, okay, where do I draw the line!?! Then, the DASH recommends one eats 3 low fat dairy products a day, however, many websites totally bash cows milk, and many websites totally bash soy. Now, I don't HAVE to drink milk, but I like my cereal, ya know! I was quite suprised to come accross information about how wheat is bad for us. I though wheat was VERY healthy. And, it seems like a vegetarian lifestyle is a healthy approach, however, protein is essential and I don't feel like eating beans and rice for the rest of my life and I only like soy milk and no other soy products. Plus, I have a 2 year old. I do think that a little meat is okay as long as it's organic and lean. Well with all that in mind, I'd like to know what you guys think. If you can, give me a description on a healthy lifestyle, we all know that yoga/meditation, exercise, weights, spirituality and hobbies is the other part of the spectrum. So, what do you all think. I'm open ears. Or should I say EYES!!LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #2

Blue102 HB User
Re: What is YOUR definition of a healthy lifestyle?

In my own humble opinion (something I'm good at giving on this board, ha!, but you asked) I think, everything in moderation. I mean, except illegal drugs and stuff that can screw up your brain. As far as foods go, I don't cut out anything completely. I try to eat a lot of what I know is good for me, like fruits, veggies and white meat, and drink water. But I don't think most 'diets' are practical or healthy. I'll eat things that make me feel healthy. I don't really like bacon or sausage or sugary stuff anymore, because they makes me feel fat and lousy...

I think it's less a matter of going by the book with diets than just controlling your portions and making good choices. You can't really go wrong with fresh fruits and veggies.

And of course, exercise. So that's my opinion...

Last edited by Blue102; 01-28-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue102
In my own humble opinion (something I'm good at giving on this board, ha!, but you asked) I think, everything in moderation. I mean, except illegal drugs and stuff that can screw up your brain. As far as foods go, I don't cut out anything completely. I try to eat a lot of what I know is good for me, like fruits, veggies and white meat, and drink water. But I don't think most 'diets' are practical or healthy. I'll eat things that make me feel healthy. I don't really like bacon or sausage or sugary stuff anymore, because they makes me feel fat and lousy...

I think it's less a matter of going by the book with diets than just controlling your portions and making good choices. You can't really go wrong with fresh fruits and veggies.

And of course, exercise. So that's my opinion...
What about dairy and bread?

Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Jessicca its stuff you have to experiment on your own..I mean from all the researches I did..wheat is not that good for any of us..because its responsable for a number of serious diseases..thats why im constantly repeating to add different grains to your diet...its stuff I know from experience aswell and, my doctor told me himself that wheat is not that good..soooooooo, just try different stuff..introduce different grains to your diet..pleeeeeeeeeeeaase..I just got back from lowblaws and, spoke with my friend in the health section..he told me his dad had to iliminate wheat..he had to much reflux since forever..they tested him for celiacs and, turned out positive..Crazy huh.??.. i thought you were working on this.?

Old 01-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
Jessicca its stuff you have to experiment on your own..I mean from all the researches I did..wheat is not that good for any of us..because its responsable for a number of serious diseases..thats why im constantly repeating to add different grains to your diet...its stuff I know from experience aswell and, my doctor told me himself that wheat is not that good..soooooooo, just try different stuff..introduce different grains to your diet..pleeeeeeeeeeeaase..I just got back from lowblaws and, spoke with my friend in the health section..he told me his dad had to iliminate wheat..he had to much reflux since forever..they tested him for celiacs and, turned out positive..Crazy huh.??.. i thought you were working on this.?
Well, I don't really eat any wheat except this cereal called Oranic Valley (like cheerios but organic). Do you think I should just give up wheat AND gluten all together, or just wheat? And, my bread is called Oarmeal bread by Nickel's and it has a picture of wheat on the front.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

no don't give it up completely..the way you'r eating you got it in control..you'r doing great ..as for the pasta,,well i know you and, i know you'r having the wheat one..but, once a week, correct,?? sooo try different pastas..try.........hmmmm lets say some corn pasta..just to give your bod a break..corn pasta is very healthy, very good for the heart and, very easy to digest.. ..
..........its like you don't believe mee ..

Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
no don't give it up completely..the way you'r eating you got it in control..you'r doing great ..as for the pasta,,well i know you and, i know you'r having the wheat one..but, once a week, correct,?? sooo try different pastas..try.........hmmmm lets say some corn pasta..just to give your bod a break..corn pasta is very healthy, very good for the heart and, very easy to digest.. ..
..........its like you don't believe mee ..
I DO, I do believe you but I dunno it's so hard, plus, I'm not a celiac so I know I could have it sometimes(wheat). It seems LIKE everything has wheat in it, like my favorite cereal I tried brown rice pasta and I didn't like it. Maybe the corn is better. I love wheat pasta, lol. Come to think of it, I haven't had it in like 2 weeks! Oh well, I'll keep trying my best. I like to do research and thought this would be a great thread to start considering it's labled "healthy lifestyle." ANd, it's still kinda in my head that whole grains (which has wheat) are good for us (people without celiac), OH forget it, it's confusing, LOL. I think it's time for me to go to sleep. I'm making a big deal out of this. PUt it this way, I've cut wheat out of my diet SIGNIFICANTLY except the oatmeal bread, but I think it has a lot less wheat in it than "wheat bread." Thanks again Losec!

Last edited by Jess75; 01-28-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

you'r smart enough Jess.. ..but, remember when you eat somtin, if you get sick on it, then don't ever eat it again.. ..

Old 02-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
(male)

lugter HB User

I think that wheat in moderation is ok. The problem is that people digest to much of it these days because it is added to so many foods and products.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Like Blue102 said most things in moderation, it is something I've lived by most of my adult life. I try not to overdo any one food group, I do eat less wheat but I do eat other whole grains. I also use portion control, small amounts, never go back for seconds.(well, on a rare occasion I have) I think most foods are healthy but not healthy for some people, everyones system is different is what it can handle and so on. I find I can eat wheat, but if I eat it everyday it will bother me, same with dairy, I eat soy one day and milk the next and always fat free or close to it. I love fruits but they don't like me if I eat them 2 days in a row. You have to experiment with what makes you feel good and how your body utilizes what you put in it. I stay away from claims that all carbs are bad, all fat is bad, only this way is good so on and so forth as I feel they have an agenda and it isn't always the healthier way.

Last edited by NancyH; 02-04-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I feel there is nothing wrong with wheat unless you are allergic to or trying to loose weight. Some people are allergic to peanuts, but you don't see people saying peanuts are bad. I eat lots of bread and pasta, but very little meat. Mostly seafood, veggies, pasta, and bread. I feel good, have good blood tests, and have no weight problems. (I'm 115 lbs.) I did have high cholesterol at one time, but haven't had it since I lowered my total fat intake.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
I feel there is nothing wrong with wheat unless you are allergic to or trying to loose weight. Some people are allergic to peanuts, but you don't see people saying peanuts are bad. I eat lots of bread and pasta, but very little meat. Mostly seafood, veggies, pasta, and bread. I feel good, have good blood tests, and have no weight problems. (I'm 115 lbs.) I did have high cholesterol at one time, but haven't had it since I lowered my total fat intake.
Why eliminate wheat to lose weight? Thanks!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

A lot of people won't eat bread, pasta, or starches when they are trying to loose weight r****ly. Starch turns into sugar in the body so if they don't exercise it off or use up the excess energy, they have trouble loosing weight. I really not not believe that this idea is the best way to loose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I believe in finding the balance of a variety of food that is right for you. Some people's bodies have trouble handling different types of food and that is why there is no one diet that fits all. I also believe in exercise unless you absolutely can't do it. I also respect vegetarians and feel they are on the right track. (The ones that eat healthy and include whole grains in thier diet.)

I'm not a vegetarian; although, I do eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I prefer whole wheat bread, but I'm the only one who will eat it in my house and it is expensive so I eat the same white bread everyone else eats. I find whole wheat pasta to be really good, but it doesn't seem to fill me up like regular pasta. I eat pasta around 5 times per week and do not have a pasta gut. I walk during my breaks at work. I also exercise for 45-60 min. every night.

Here's what I ate yesterday........BKf-1 coffie, 1 orange juice, 1 toast with low-fat cream cheese and jelly, and cantalope....Morning Snack-rice cakes.......Lunch-1 diet soda, low-fat ham sandwich with lettuce and onion, blueberries with wheat germ, and fat-free chips......Super-Grape juice, pasta with low-fat spread and parmesan cheese, prawns, and snow peas......No night snack last night......If I do have a night snack, it's usually popcorn.

What do you eat?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
A lot of people won't eat bread, pasta, or starches when they are trying to loose weight r****ly. Starch turns into sugar in the body so if they don't exercise it off or use up the excess energy, they have trouble loosing weight. I really not not believe that this idea is the best way to loose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I believe in finding the balance of a variety of food that is right for you. Some people's bodies have trouble handling different types of food and that is why there is no one diet that fits all. I also believe in exercise unless you absolutely can't do it. I also respect vegetarians and feel they are on the right track. (The ones that eat healthy and include whole grains in thier diet.)

I'm not a vegetarian; although, I do eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I prefer whole wheat bread, but I'm the only one who will eat it in my house and it is expensive so I eat the same white bread everyone else eats. I find whole wheat pasta to be really good, but it doesn't seem to fill me up like regular pasta. I eat pasta around 5 times per week and do not have a pasta gut. I walk during my breaks at work. I also exercise for 45-60 min. every night.

Here's what I ate yesterday........BKf-1 coffie, 1 orange juice, 1 toast with low-fat cream cheese and jelly, and cantalope....Morning Snack-rice cakes.......Lunch-1 diet soda, low-fat ham sandwich with lettuce and onion, blueberries with wheat germ, and fat-free chips......Super-Grape juice, pasta with low-fat spread and parmesan cheese, prawns, and snow peas......No night snack last night......If I do have a night snack, it's usually popcorn.

What do you eat?
Well, lately I've been on a wheat free/low gluten diet just to see if my constipation symptoms would go away. Oh, and I also switched to light soy milk from cows milk. Anyways, I'll tell you what I ate yesterday...2 Van's wheat free and gluten free waffles (made from brown rice flour), light syrup, Balance butter, and 2 cups of coffee. Snack, a large glass of very veggie juice, then some yogurt with 2 tbs of flaxseeds, lunch I had a protein plus bar cause I was on the run and had to go to school, due to going in the evening I packed a PBJ sandwich on rye with grapes. Than came home and had some cantelope. Today I had the same waffles, and I just bought some brown rice bread and had a chicken burger with some brocolli, and for dinner I'll probably have a dinner by Amy's organics which is the enchilata with beans and rice. I'll also probably have a salad with gr peppers and cucumbers, then some 2% organic cottage cheese or something. And probably some fruit tonight. So that's how I eat. Very little meat, some beans, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits veggies and like I said, I'm trying to stay away from wheat. I actually felt great for the past 3 days except for today I feel constipated again. And I think it's because of the rye bread cause it has a little wheat in it. Not to be gross or anything but I was going fine and I couldn't beleive it cause I've been eating like this for like 5-7 days. Before I bought the rye bread, I bought spelt bread and I was feeling great until today. As I speak, I can feel that my stomach is bloated and it's like, I know I have to go but I can't. I've been suffering from this since I was a kid and from being on the Diet and Nutrition boards, I learned about how many people have adverse reactions to eating wheat. I'm going to give this a try for a little longer to see how I feel. Oh and Dr. Mercola also recommends people to obstain from wheat because many of his patients were relieved from the many sypmtoms related to wheat from just giving it up! Sorry this is so long,lol.

Last edited by Jess75; 02-10-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I bought spelt bread and I was feeling great until today. As I speak, I can feel that my stomach is bloated and it's like, I know I have to go but I can't.

________________________________________ __________

Closed Thread