It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

twinkie02 HB User
Giving up soda

I was wondering have any of you given up soda to loose weight? I drink alot of diet soda, but I heard that I would loose alot of weight by giving up. Its really hard for me becasue im addicted to caffiene!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User
Re: Giving up soda

The American Cancer Society has confirmed through study that users of artificial sweeteners gain more weight than those who don't use the products, further undermining the supposed "purpose" for the existence of aspartame in food. The major selling point of aspartame is as a diet aid, and it has been demonstrated that the use of this product actually causes people to consume more food. Normally, when a significant quantity of carbohydrate are consumed, serotonin levels rise in the brain. This is manifested as a relaxed feeling after a meal. When aspartame is ingested with carbohydrates, such as having a sandwich with a diet drink, aspartame causes the brain to cease production of serotonin, meaning that the feeling of having had enough never materializes. You then eat more foods, many containing aspartame, and the cycle continues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Yes - Give it up. Drink water instead. The artificial sweetner in diet soft drinks is horrible! I am not sure how it works, but a personal trainer told me once that your body doesn't know how to break down the sweetner. She said it was actually better to drink regular soda because at least your body knows what to do with the sugar!!! (Of course she said stay away from soda period,,,,,,)
I pretty much gave it up except for maybe one or two a week. My down fall now is drinking green tea and putting 1 packet of Splenda in it. I figured Splenda had to be better than Equal.
Drink water - Lots of it and I have heard that really cold or ice water actually helps with weight loss. Your body reacts to the cold water differently than drinking regular room temperature water.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Congratulations! The other thing that keeps people from loosing weight on diet sodas is the sodium. All that sodium causes water retention, which is known as water weight.

You could add a touch of fruit juice to the water to give it a little more flavor for you. Seltzer water is another option, since it doesn't have much sodium and no sweeteners.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #5

Starrbelie HB User

Your liver is very important in controlling your weight. Your liver has to detoxify the caffeine alone. It's a long process to explain, your kidneys can't help. To make a long story short, caffeine puts a lot of stress on your liver. Caffeine also affects cortisol secretion, a stress hormone. Cortisol's job is to release glucose and fatty acids for muscles to have energy during stress. Once the time of stress is over cortisol levels remain high to stimulate your appetite so you can replace the fuel it has burned. So in a round about way caffeine increases your appetite. All of this and not to mention caffeine strips the body of calcium, magnesium, and sodium. Very bad for your bones.

Starr

Old 03-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

I gave up soda a long time ago.

Up until a couple months ago when I developed Panic Disorder I would only drink it ocassionally with rum or whiskey.

Now alcohol aside which I do admit I love, the only thing I drink besides water is milk and that's with cereal.

Obviously with Panic Disorder I can't have caffeine or that Artificial Sweetner (see the Panic section of this site, in a thread I created it has a huge list of the bad things involved with Aspartame and panic attacks are part of that list).

But I don't miss soda at all. I always felt bloated and sick really when I drank it. I'm glad I don't drink it anymore. I always drink water now. I generally drink about 2 liters of water a day.

Giving up soda alone could do wonders of your weight loss. It did for me. The carbonation in it is terrible for your kidneys as well as all the other stuff already mentioned.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
(male)

BoingoBongo HB User

I recently gave up soda (except for rare occassions). I actually did it because I just didn't think it was healthy for my teeth, and I realized how much I was drinking. The first few days were hard, but after that I just started craving juice and water instead.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User

i used to be a soda junkie until my late teens/early twenties. but once i gave it up i felt so much better! i always felt sluggish and bloated and it leaves a really gross film on the teeth. i lost weight, and all the water i started to drink instead did wonders for my skin and everything else. now, the thought of drinking it grosses me out. it's pure chemicals and when i even taste a sip of it now, it tastes terrible. plus, when you think about what it's made up of, it's kind of weird to be putting entirely unnatural things into your body. good luck, i hope you kick the habit!

Old 04-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I gave up pop when I found out I was pregnant last September. My baby is due next month and I don't miss it. I did have headaches for the first few weeks from the caffeine withdrawal. People don't realize how much caffeine they take in from pop and coffee and chocolate. Diet soda is no good either. Aspartame (along with most other artificial sweetenters) are actually really bad for you and you can't even have them while pregnant cause they're considered harmful.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I didn't give it up too lose wieght. I just rid some articles about how bad it was for you, then I just stopped drinking it. Now it tastes yucky when I have a drink of it.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
(male)

The Len HB User

I don't drink alcohol. I hate it. So when I go to a bar to meet up with friends, there isn't a whole lot that I can order aside from orange juice and pop (bars don't carry green tea). I can't always get away with drinking water cause sometimes there is a 1 or 2 drink mimimum and I'm kinda forced into buying something. So something has to give....I either contribute to damaging my brain and liver, or help myself to put on weight and destroy my teeth. Such beautiful choices we have lol.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Wow, this convinced me to try and give it up too.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'm down to one soda drink a week, sprite, no diet, no caffiene, one a week I can live with that! I don't need to lose weight, in fact I'm under weight but I need to live a heathier lifestyle, it's slow and a bit agonizing to give up some of the junk but I'm doing it.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

lovemygrandma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Congratulations! The other thing that keeps people from loosing weight on diet sodas is the sodium. All that sodium causes water retention, which is known as water weight.

You could add a touch of fruit juice to the water to give it a little more flavor for you. Seltzer water is another option, since it doesn't have much sodium and no sweeteners.

As I am reading your post I'm also looking at my Diet Pepsi and it has 25mg of sodium. If I drink six a day thats only 150mg. I dont think that is going to cause much water retention. Now a can of soup Yeah! that might cause some retention. I want to quit drinking Soda because of the aspertame and me and my husband spend $8.00 about every 1 1/2 days on soda. That would be a great vacation. My problem is I need to wing myself off because I get severe headaches when I stop cold turkey. LMG

Old 06-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
(female)

BethyGirlie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrandma
I want to quit drinking Soda because of the aspertame and me and my husband spend $8.00 about every 1 1/2 days on soda.
My one friend is like that, only she drinks 5-6 liters of Mountain Dew a day. She says she can't survive without her Mountain Dew. When she tries to stop drinking so much, she gets huge headaches and she is very irritable because of the caffiene withdrawl. I have never seen anyone addicted to soda before I met her. I can't believe how addicting caffiene can be.

Last edited by BethyGirlie; 06-03-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Closed Thread