It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

Lectus HB User
Seemingly perpetual body odor

That seems to be my problem. I can't smell it myself (It may be possible that I've become accustomed to it.), but I can kind of tell by the hints people try to drop, their body language coupled with violent fits coughing, sneezing, sniffling, and irregular breathing (carefully-regulated mouth-breathing). The intensity of these signs increases if I remain wherever I am (in a theatre, restaurant, reception area, etc...). These aren't isolated incidents that I'm zeroing in on and blowing out of proportion... These are just clues gathered over time. People act like this wherever I go, and it just seems unlikely that we're having some kind of wide-spread cold epidemic.

The sickest thing is that I'm not even sure what kind of smell it is... I wash up twice a day, wear fresh, clean clothes when I go out, and brush my teeth. Nobody has confronted me directly... The closest they've gotten was to give me cryptic, read-between-the-lines messages ('I'm might get into landscaping. You know, all that fresh air... *sniff* ahh....'). A former boss once gave me some mentos as well... which is confusing, because I was always under the impression that this was a body odor... Maybe I have bad breath on top of the bo? I don't know. It's hard to say, because no one will be honest with me.

As you might imagine, this has caused much mental distress, and eventually landed me in the psyche ward. My hospitalization led to a whole other hell, as the mental health pros refused to acknowledge any sort of odor (although I noticed them, as well as other patients, giving me strong physical signs of disgust.) Even, on the morning after I came, while I was wearing dirty clothes I'd taken a sort of hike in the day before (They were covered with sweat, and even I could smell them...), one male nurse smelled me up close and said that he didn't smell anything. I've been in outpatient treatment since then, and in counseling, and that's been the general stance of the mental health pros ever since. I suppose that they figure that, since they can't do anything about the odor directly (given that I wash up regularly and clean my clothes, and they can't do anything medically for me), they'll try to make me disbelieve it, since my belief that I have a body odor is technically irrational.. One doctor said that I don't have any proof that I smell, and all of my evidence is circumstantial. As if the human mind was a court of law. Of course all of the evidence is circumstantial... If a thousand people had told me that I smell and I couldn't smell it, and even if I could, it might be considered circumstantial. Idiocy.

So I'm forever stuck one step behind fixing this problem, and trying to get someone to admit that it exists, so the medical doctors will take me seriously... It's really rediculous the lengths people will go to to avoid talking about body odor. Is our culture so anal that we can't address a problem if only to fix it? Obviously I wouldn't be so upset to hear someone say that I smell since I so strongly believe it.

At this point I'm not even going to ask how to fix the problem... You are all free to make suggestions but, in all likelihood, I've probably heard them before. Right now I'm focused on getting an honest answer... I'm leaning toward doing a survey of monks... What reason would they have for lying, either way? I just have to assure them that I won't be upset if they admit that I have an odor. Maybe write up a little speech about how not being sure has turned me into a paranoid recluse.

If they don't admit it, then either I'm insane or the rest of the world is, and simply disappearing will be the best solution (not a suicide reference, btw... I just mean that I'll take to living far from any kind of civilization.).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User
Re: Seemingly perpetual body odor

man you seem pretty worked up on this whole deal. My sister had OCD when she was younger, she was convinced she smelled. No one else smelled her and she wouldn't leave the house and dreaded going to school. I highly doubt THAT many people would lie to you about an odor. It's probably in your head, you should just take cologne baths before you go out in public see if people are still "looking at you funny" and "talking about landscaping"

Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Ask some kids whether or not you smell. Little kids are brutally honest about things like this, to the point that they embarrass their parents.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #4

Blue102 HB User

Hey, you've probably heard this, but I just wanted to mention that zinc supplements are supposed to help with body odor. I don't know if it works or not. Do you wear antiperspirant?

Maybe it's your breath. Some people have bad breath that they can't get rid of no matter how often they brush their teeth. It might have to do with acid reflux or a digestive issue. That's something that you should be able to talk to your doctor about.

I don't know if this was helpful, but I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I guess the best thing would be to have a heart-to-heart with the doctor. You might have OCD after all, like the other poster said...?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
(male)

DSM18 HB User

Hey. I don't know if this in any way relates to you but ill share my own "odour" experiences! I had bad odour, and i could never figuire out what it was... like you i showered 2ce daily and kept my hegeine perfect. So what was it? I didnt know for so long.. It wasnt your typical BO, but it wasnt pleasant! Then it hit me! I eat a very strict healthy diet where I rigidly follow on a daily basis. Then I got into a very bad habit of "pigging out" on very unhealthy food. I'd be like a possessed animal who'd eat anything in sight!This was a complete shock to my system and my body didnt know how to handle all these different ingredients my body wasnt used to! So what happens? Naturally, when a body is hit with something it doesnt know what to do with, it tries to fight against it... and to rid myself of this food i'd eaten, my body would release it through my pours. Hence, the foundation of my odour! I realised where my odour came from because i didnt "pig out" for some time, then did it once and immeaditly within hours my body smelt! it was most severe in my shoes! my bad eating patterns stopped, and my odour sort of stopped.. it stopped, but from before my shoes still smelt. I thought **** i was wrong until i realised! Hope I helped you in some way... maybe your body is trying to realease something... have u been doing anything to your boyd its not used to... eating like i did, exesseive drinking/drugs can also cause this. I hope you find your own answer! You are probably sick of people telling you that its all in your head, i understand how it feels when people wont beleive u... people didnt beleive that exessive food could make your feet smell or when i was my digestion was poor it led to bad immunity... BUT, for your own sake, accept that may have a problem... if you never accept it, you'll never get better! Anyway, all the best!

Old 04-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

hollymbk HB User

first I would ask a few family members to honestly tell you if you smell bad in anyway. If they say no, then ask them if they think you are paranoid. If you are just paranoid you are just going to have to stop obsessing about it. If you stink then try these things:

floss your teeth after every meal, I have a few friend who don't floss and I know they have some little pieces of rotting meat stuck in their teeth, it smells so bad.

brush your tongue

Eat breath mints regularly

drink more water

eat lots of fruit, I went on a fruit smoothie diet for a month one time and after about two weeks, my normal dirty armpit smell was gone, I didn't need any deodorant at all and my bad breath, even in the morning was gone. Normally I had infected junk in my tonsils and had bad morning breath, it was gone. My husband couldn't believe it. I never even knew fruit could do that.

With me it was the fruit, but, most claim that greens, with chlorophyll is an internal deodorant, alkalizing your system.

Basically, fruit and veggies, can clean you from the inside out.

Hormone imbalance can make you stink no matter what you do, some pregnant women have a horrid smell that is gone as soon as they give birth.

Also there are some mental illness, like schizophrenia where a part of the brain for personal hygiene is affected. They no longer can smell themselves and have no desire to shower. That doesn't sound like you.

Try the fruit. Eat tons of it, drink water. Acidic food like meat can make you stink.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
(female)

tdot HB User

Liquid chlorophyll is a great intestinal cleanser. I use it almost every day and find it very refreshing and helpful!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Something else has occured to me. Once I was prescribed over 30 days of antibiotics to kill off a chronic sinus infection. And I remember thinking at the time, that I had worse B.O. than usual. I also had stomach troubles, and was told by my ENT to take acidophilous. The B.O. eventually went away. I don't know if the acidophilous helped or if maybe the odor was caused by my body releasing toxins.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #9

mickeyd3d91 HB User

Dont worry it's prob just you. You see your mined tell you these thing.. That's all and if you still cant get over it go out and buy a stick and keep it with you.. Dont worry this will pass.. Good luck

Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lectus
That seems to be my problem.
The sickest thing is that I'm not even sure what kind of smell it is...

I recently went through a horrible odor thing myself, along with my son and another poster one of the boards here. As it turns out the smell was due to the apocrine glands on our scalp, and washing with Selsun Blue got rid of the odor. You can read about it in the "All health related" section.

If you have an actual odor on your skin that not everyone can smell perhaps this might be it. Everyone thought I was crazy too. Even my son who STANK, didn't smell it!

Selsun Blue which has sulfur in it will rid your skin of odors and you can use it all over. If after 5 days of use there is no difference then the smell is either gastrointestinal or mouth related.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Other ideas on body oders are sinus problems and garlic consumption. Sinus problems can cause really bad breath. Over consumption of garlic causes heavy body oder in some people.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

I have heard and have seeing documentals of people having a body odor disease. An autoinmune disease of no cure. In the documental it did showed the boy with the condition and his lifestyle and what has helped him. The boy showered like 3 times a day and he shaved all his body hair. Very little medical could be done but from what I remember he had to have special diet. This diet i remember that one of the things he could not eat was eggs. He was a really cute guy and he seemed to have very supportive friends.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #13
(female)

Confused25 HB User

After reading your story, it was like you were taking about me somewhat. In March of this year is when I started to notice that I had an odor problem. I just started a new temp. job then. I was on my way to work when I started hearing people talk about someone smelling on the bus. As first I through it was someone else, but after hearing that same comments on the other buses I had to take going and coming from work, I slowly realized that they were taking about me, especialy when everyone seem to be looking in my direction. I felt soooo uncomfortable. I just wanted to stay at home and never leave.

Just like you, I could not smell a thing. The only thing that I did notice is that my underarm area smells stronger then usual. I shower in the morning, put on clean clothes and walked out of my home thinking that everything was alright. But, the way people were acting was like I just got out of bed and threw on some dirt clothes. People would not sit next to me or around me unless the bus was getting crowded. Or they would get up and move from me. This problem not only happen when I was on the bus, but when I go shopping as well.

I went to three different types of doctors trying to figure out where the problem was coming from. I ever went to a herblist and none of them said I had a smell. All of the doctors looked at me as if I was crazy as to say that there was nothing wrong with me. I know that there is something wrong with me because I still hear people talking about a smell or making facial expressions around me. But no one will say anything me to directly. Hopefully, I will get some answers when the results of my blood test comes back.

I have tried everything from changing my soap, deodorant, my laundry deterdent and hair products. I am eating more fruits and veggies and I have cut down on eating meat. Soon, I will try to go completely meatless (wish me luck with that). I am also taking herbal supplements to try to help the cause.

Sometimes I feel like I have been cursed or something because I have never had this problem before. This problem just happened all of a sudden. Now I don't even go out unless it is necessary. I really want this problem to go away so that I can have my life back.

I just want you to know that you are not alone in this. There are a lot of people out there who has this same problem.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #14
(female)

bigbrowneyes196 HB User
Question Re: Seemingly perpetual body odor

I have had the same thing happen to me. People I work around do the same thing to me, "someone smells", or "that girl is stinking" and I am just like you, when you said that you dont want to go out. I shower and put on clean clothes before I go to work. I have changed my soaps and used feminen suppositories and I have this "onion" smell" coming from my genitals. It is very embarrassing and I don't know what to do about it. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I have thyroid disease, under-active thyroid. I wonder if this is the cause of that smell. I drink a lot of water hoping that will help, but it hasnt.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
(female)

Confused25 HB User

Have you been to your GYN. If not I would make an appointment with your doctor first. Now if you want to go a different route, I would try to go to an herbalist and have one of them give you an consultation to see what herbs to might need to take. Also, try to eat me fruits and veggies.

I know for me showers don't seem to help. No matter how many times I wash myself, I still do not seem to have that fresh clean scent. So now I take more baths and I add Baking Soda to my bath water. This seems to help me especially with my underarm odor, just as long as I don't sweat too much.

I hope this helps you out.

Closed Thread