It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
How much of what should I be eating?

I'm just trying to figure out how many grams of protein, fats, etc... I should be eating. I don't really have a clue as to the proper parameters.
I'm trying to drop 30 pounds, so I've already cut my caloric intake by 600 calories a day and am working out (with cardio and weights) 4 to 5 days a week.
Please don't tell me percentages, I never can follow that.
But recently, I've been a little sluggish, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right amounts of foods.
Thanks for all help.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

cindylou02 HB User
Re: How much of what should I be eating?

I went on a very unhealthy diet to lose about 15-20 lbs. I lost the weight in just a couple of weeks but I felt horrible. I cut back to about 900 calories per day. That's not nearly enough for a 5'7" woman. We should consume about 1500 calories per day normally but for losing weight cut back to around 1200. Eat healthy foods and watch the fat and calories in foods. Lose the weight slowly and healthy. Crash diets are just not good for you and make you feel like crap and then you get tired of feeling like that and give up. Exercise is the key. You've got to burn the calories or the weight will not come off. Besides burning calories, exercising will tone up the loose skin and you'll look good.

I have been able to maintain my weight for over 3 years now because I work out a lot with weights and I walk on the treadmill. I also eat healthy and pay attention to labels. My diet usually consists of the following:

Breakfast: Egg, grits (I'm southern), 1 piece of toast, coffee, 2% milk.
Alt breakfast: South Beach Diet bar, banana, coffee, 2% milk.

Snack: yogurt or fruit

Lunch: Turkey sandwich on 1/2 calorie bread with reduced fat mayo and mustard and lettuce, Baked Lays chips (I count out about 10 chips and stick to it), Coke (not diet, yuk) or water.

Snack: Jello or reduced fat pudding or fruit.

Dinner: I usually just eat a bowl of cereal for dinner because we don't cook a lot and we don't eat fast food a lot. But when I do cook I have grilled or baked chicken with vegs or grilled fish. Something that is not too heavy for an evening meal. You don't want to go to bed with all that food in your stomach that you can't burn off while you're asleep.

Desserts: The reduced fat ice creams and and ice cream bars are pretty good. Fruit is always a good sweet treat for me. Jello with fruit and light whipped topping is good.

When we go out I try to select something that is not too fatty or high in calories but going out is a treat so I don't worry about it too much. I'll make up for it when I work out. If I diet all the time I'll get tired of it and start eating whatever I want and gain the weight back so I don't force myself to be good all the time. And occasionally I have any dessert or a candy bar as a reward.

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

rainy_daze HB User

I am not sure how much food you're currently eating, but you've dropped your intake by a whopping 600 calories there's a reason why you're sluggish. You need more food. And when you drop your calories you only go down a few hundred not 600.

So many women feel they need to eat 1200 or less to lose weight and that simply isn't true. All you accomplish is starving yourself so that the moment you grab a piece of food your body will want to hold onto fat like crazy.

I am 5'7" around 150lbs and 17% bodyfat. I do not do anything excessive. I do not starve myself or do 3 hours of cardio a day. I consume nearly 2000 calories a day of clean, healthy food and am in the gym for less than 60min 5x a week.

Rather than trying to count calories or carbohydrates, why not just try to have six small meals a day. Each containing a serving of a carbohydrate, a healthy fat and a protein. I actually recommend trying something such as Body For Life because it really introduces nutrition and fitness in a simple way and helps undo the belief that you need to starve in order to lose weight or be healthy.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
(female)

A_voice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy_daze
I am not sure how much food you're currently eating, but you've dropped your intake by a whopping 600 calories there's a reason why you're sluggish. You need more food. And when you drop your calories you only go down a few hundred not 600.

So many women feel they need to eat 1200 or less to lose weight and that simply isn't true. All you accomplish is starving yourself so that the moment you grab a piece of food your body will want to hold onto fat like crazy.

I am 5'7" around 150lbs and 17% bodyfat. I do not do anything excessive. I do not starve myself or do 3 hours of cardio a day. I consume nearly 2000 calories a day of clean, healthy food and am in the gym for less than 60min 5x a week.

Rather than trying to count calories or carbohydrates, why not just try to have six small meals a day. Each containing a serving of a carbohydrate, a healthy fat and a protein. I actually recommend trying something such as Body For Life because it really introduces nutrition and fitness in a simple way and helps undo the belief that you need to starve in order to lose weight or be healthy.
Second.
This is the only way to get a good body and a good life at the same time
But I'm shocked - do you really do power exercise 5 times a week? You and your muscles must have no time to recover, then.

Closed Thread