It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
yoga for health benefits

I have done yoga on and off for a couple of years, and now I would like to get in to it a bit more seriously. I have been lifting weights for a while and want to give them up and try yoga everyday. Has anyone done this, I would really like to experience the health benefits everyone talks about>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

degen95 HB User
Re: yoga for health benefits

i do yoga somewhat regularly (4-6 times per week). some say a solid practice is all you need. if you do ashtanga or power, you WILL get a good workout in and you feel much better afterwards than any other type of exercise.

it is somewhat expensive to go to a studio on a regular basis so in time you may need to develop your own home practice (even if you can afford to pay indefinitely, a home practice is still good) to complement the studio practice and to keep getting ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
(female)

gemma16 HB User

I also practice hatha yoga. Though I am beginner, just started two years ago, and I am not the most disciplined. It is expensive, but I am able to do it through my school for about $2 a class! Maybe you should look into some colleges near you and see what they offer. I recently started Bikram yoga and have found it to be a good experience. It is a little too hard on my body though, I sweat a lot in general and 90 minutes in 100 F room completely dehydrates me. Just practicing sun salutations for 30 minutes a day or some other series would give you a good workout.

Yeah, the yoga glow is really great!

Old 11-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

WendyHarris2 HB User

If you like yoga and are looking for a great workout, I've been doing this Susan Powter Trailer Park Yoga that just kicks my a** in the morning. I love it. It's helped me loose about 30 pounds so far and it's in my regiment to loose 40 more. Just a thought to ponder.
love
wendy

Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I wanted to update, that I have been doing yoga for a little over a month seriously, I have praticed on and off for a few years but nothing on a daily basis. Well I have to say I do love it. I have never felt so relaxed and energized at the same time and my body is changing. I was adancer for many years and doing ballet kept me in great shape, well the old dancers body is coming back but I am even more flexable than I was. I do pratice 30 mins a day I use a couple of different books. I also take a class to make sure I am doing everything right> I am so suprised at the changes that are happening to me. I also do my cardio and weights but I think the yoga is giving me more benefits then either one of those. I will progress up to astanga yoga after a while. I love yoga.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
(female)

Traweaver3 HB User

I have come to love yoga too. I started taking classes this summer and now attend about 3 times a week for hour long classes. I do sun salutations at home on my off days. I have had back surgery and have found yoga is my key to staying limber. The physical therapist gave me a bunch of boring stretches that I am suppose to do daily, but never did. Yoga is much more interesting and I really enjoy it. I am not sure of the differences between the different kinds of yoga, but know that since I have added it to my daily routine I am a better person, physically and mentally. GO YOGA! hehe

Old 01-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I feel the same way I feel like I am a more balanced person, and it also controls my appetite, I just feel like eating very healthy and not to over eat, my body is long and lean so much different than weights, I never could do more than 10 push ups since yoga I can do 30 no problem. HAIL YOGA!!!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

Yes, practicing Yoga will change your body. And if you keep doing it, it will continue to change your body. I haven't done Yoga in a long time, but when I was doing it my body was fully trimmed and lean. My muscles were in great shape - I walked straighter, my back felt great, and my abs were completely flat. Yoga is one of the best things you can ever do for yourself, and if I had the time, I would certainly do it regulary again. I'm in pretty good shape still, because I work out 5 days a week at the gym. But that's not a substitute for Yoga - beats anything the gym can do for you in a heartbeat. Pilates is also very much like Yoga. I have a pilates video at home, and I do that sometimes too. I need to get back into it.

Last edited by *DottieGirl*; 03-12-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo error

Closed Thread