It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Do you believe digestive ailments can be treated with healthy lifestyle?

I have been having some upsetting digestive ailments lately - about once a month i get bad indigestion, heartburn, stomachaches...the last few days i have been miserable with it. I thought it was a virus, but being that i don't have a fever or aches or anything like that, I think it's more like an ulcer or candida or IBS, something like that.

My question is, do you believe these things can be treated and even reversed by changning your diet, exercise habits and lifestyle? I ask because it seems like a lot of people who go to the dr., with seemingly serious digestive problems (gall bladder, gerd, ulcers, etc) end up with a note telling them to go pick up some Zantac to take daily. This gives me the impression that these things are not so serious as long as you treat them.

Well, I would rather be proactive and treat AND prevent them rather than just using an antacid as a band-aid. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'm thinking for a start I will give up as much sugar as possible as well as alcohol and caffeine...that will be hard, especially with the holidays!! Then I'll see how I feel.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
Re: Do you believe digestive ailments can be treated with healthy lifestyle?

Mjewell,

I think it's great that you will be trying to reduce your caffiene/alcohol/sugar intake. I don't know whether your problems can be treated through changes in diet and lifestyle, but I have heard that it has worked for other people. You should probably talk with your doctor about what you can do to reduce your stomach problems in a more natural way--explain that you don't want to have to take any medications unless absolutely necessary, if this is how you feel.

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 12-26-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, MJ

I'm a 100 percent believer that digestive issues can be cured/greatly alleviated with diet modifications and exercise. My condition was never diagnosed last summer by any doctor I went to. I had extreme left flank pain, heartburn, alternating constipation/loose stools, belly and abdominal cramping and pain. Other than a case of dysentary 30 years ago, I had no previous history of GI troubles.

I had so much testing and antibiotics given to me, and somewhere along the line, I found out I had high cholesterol. I improved my diet based on that and incorporated a daily walk. After about two weeks of that -- and stopping all the darn antibiotics -- my symptoms were gone. Funny, too, because a couple times I've "cheated" on my cholesterol diet and had something fried or greasy, and those pains come right back, so I believe my body was telling me to improve! It's been over six months now, and my stomach has never felt better, no more heartburn (finally threw away my Tums since they expired months ago).

My hubby obviously went on this WOE with me and walked with me, and he even noticed how much better his tummy feels. He just about lived in the bathroom (diarreah) with our old sedentary lifestyle and bad diet, but now he's completely normal.

We didn't give up sugar or coffee...in fact, I added some green tea. We only have one cup of coffee in the morning instead of two, and then we stopped drinking more throughout the day like we used to. I also incorporated slow-cook oatmeal for breakfast and oatmeal bread for toast or sandwiches, stopped using a lot of butter. We avoided red meat for the first couple weeks, and I held off on eating so many salads and roughage, opted for a baked potato or basmati rice instead. My goal was bland, mild, soothing foods initially, nothing fried or greasy. When your stomach's upset, this really isn't hard to do at all. Then we gradually added more fiber and roughage into our diets and red meat once in a while.

Lysne

Last edited by StenoLady1; 12-29-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

That's great!! Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

I have found that apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) in water each morning has helped my digestion immensely. I put it in sardines and canned salmon, and on spinach and kale, too. Recently, I've been on a garlic kick, chopping it up raw and drinking with cayenne in tomato juice. Now my stomach feels fine, and no pain when I eat. I was compelled to do some research on garlic and cayenne. I found out garlic purifies the blood, helps hair loss (it contains sulphur), and so does cayenne. And cayenne repairs the stomach and colon lining. It also kills yeast and other pathogens by starving them of oxygen. It helps digest food by increasing circulation to the stomach and making it secrete more hydrochloric acid aiding digestion. It speeds up metabolism and burns carbohydrates. It cleans the arteries and is very good for the heart and blood pressure. A lot of studies have been done on this helpful fruit and spice.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
(male)

thebluedog HB User

[QUOTE=gort]I have found that apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) in water each morning has helped my digestion immensely.

How much apple cider vinegar do you drink with your water? I'm trying to determine a good amount to drink daily.

Thanks

Last edited by thebluedog; 01-09-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

I started with 2 teaspoons in about 6-8 oz of water first thing in the morning and again at night. Now I just need 1 teaspoon in a glass of water once a day. But I will add a teaspoon to my bowl of soup or salad, anywhere I can.

The enzymes in unpasteurized cider vinegar fight allergies and illness, in addition to being a digestion aid. You will notice this if you take it regularly. And because it is a natural antibacterial the shelf life is about 5 years. Doesn't need refrigeration.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Smile Re: Do you believe digestive ailments can be treated with healthy lifestyle?

Gort,

Thanks for your response. Your information is helpful. I think I'll add 2 teaspoons a day.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
(male)

brockbr HB User

Here is my experience - Hopefully it'll help someone...

I ran cross-country in high school - Made it to the state finals.

I started smoking at 18 - That was stupid

At 19, I ruptured my appendix. Acid reflux starts soon after. Start taking Zantac.

Over a period of 6 or 7 years, symptoms get worse, and I start to have horrible pain that lasts for 10 minutes, then instantly quits. After being scoped from both directions, the Dr says the gall bladder is dead and needs to come out.

Gall bladder comes out 6 years ago - Acid gets worse - More Zantac and now I am "diagnosed" with IBS. The Dr prescribes Protonix. Now I'm taking 2 drugs 24/7.

Acid is so bad if I skip a dose (morning or night), reflux is unbearable.

I quit smoking 3 years ago, and kicked the Protonix, but could not kick Zantac. VERY wierd things happened when I tried - Very impatient, angry and aggitated - Plus the acid was there.

My dad, and then oldest brother, drop dead due to heart problems. I have my bp checked during my flight physical (I'm a private pilot) and it's very high. I decide I need to get back to running and change my lifestyle. (Turns out the bp reading was incorrect, but it started me down a path )

I've been back running for 6 months now - Back to a 6:30/mile in a 5k and I am running my very first marathon next week.

I stopped taking Zantac 4 weeks ago bent on getting off of it. For the first few days I was aggitated, angry and ****** off at the world for no reason, and had horrible night sweats. I know, I know, this couldn't be from a drug I've taken for 15 years... At least, that's what the Dr's would say!

The symptoms are gone now, and I am no longer on anything!

I cannot believe the difference in my life by living healthy - It's amazing how you body tells you "Hey you moron, put the crap down and get out and do something."

Old 03-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My husband drinks apple cider vinegar concoction every day and his stomache woes are greatly improving too!!

Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
(male)

thebluedog HB User

What does his concoction consist of? I've read that some people include raw honey.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-14-2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: If you are replying to the post directly before yours, please do not quote the post. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #12

Greg HB User

Medieval Europe was plagued by mysterious stomach ailments.

Doctors were stumped, they gave these mysterious diseases various names, most notably it was called "hypochondria" aka "health anxiety."

Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

mjewell,

Elaine Gottschall's book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle outlines a program for dealing with various GI track issues. Her regime is quite restrictive, something you probably would not need to follow exactly, but you might get some ideas about promoting GI track health.

Closed Thread