It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

susanna_29 HB User
Fyi Those Who Try To Be Veg, But Eat Meat

I Have Had To Question How Far I Would Go With Being A Vegetarian And I Did Well With It, But Then I Started Adding Some Meat In My Diet. The Thing With Meat Is This. We Know That There Are Animals That Are Brutally Kept In Cages And To Me As Long As I Don't Eat The Reg. Meat It Kind Of Keeps Me Happy To Eat Organic Meats, But I Still Feel Guilty Eating It. That Poor Happy Animal Was Killed! It Is So Hard, But I Want To Make Sure I Am Getting Enough Calcium, Iron And Protein. How Do You Do It?

Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

sundaysun HB User
Re: Fyi Those Who Try To Be Veg, But Eat Meat

nutritionwise you can get them from non-animal products: milk, legumes, nuts and seeds etc. as long as you keep your diet balanced you can get all you need without eating meat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

sunny88 HB User
Cool Re: Fyi Those Who Try To Be Veg, But Eat Meat

I've been a vegetarian my whole life, 31yrs. Balance is definately the key. I make sure I eat only wholegrain carbs, salads and green leafy vegetables and fruit everyday. For protein I eat legumes, nuts, tofu and seeds. With all these things you should never be deficent in protein or calcium. I give blood regulary and my iron levels are always very high.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

I have been a vegetarian for 16 years and I am 30. I would say you need to make sure you are well stocked with vegetables,legumes and fruit. I am currently six and a half months pregnant and have had no problems with my iron levels and calcium. Its all about balance and for me cooking my own meals. I find lots of recipes online and experiment with various veggies.
I have no desire to eat meat even though I cook it for my husband.
Cheese, nuts, and other low soy products are out there. I think its a personal choice whatever works for you!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
(male)

chetsunset HB User

How are you guys getting your B12? B12 from plant source is not as complete or bioavailable as from animal source. How about your Vitamin D level? Your vitamin A level? It's surprising that your not deficient with any of these without supplementation.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

chetsunset,

Vegetarians who eat a healthy and varied diet generally have no problems getting the nutrients they need.

Red, orange and yellow veggies, as well as dark green ones, are rich sources of beta carotine, which the body easily converts into Vitamin A.

B12 is more easily gotten from animal sources, but it can also be gotten from cultured and fermented bean products, like tofu and tempeh, and from sea vegetables like kelp, as well as from nutritional yeast.

Vitamin D is a problem for lots of people regardless of diet. Theoretically, we can easily make Vitamin D from sunlight. But nowadays most of us work indoors during the day. In America milk is supplemented with Vitamin D. In Europe it is generally not supplemented. More and more it is being recommended that people (vegetarians as well as meat eaters) take a Vitamin D supplement.

Vegetarianism can be a very healthy diet. There are large portions of the world's population that are vegetarians. They do just fine, as long as they stay away from junk foods.

--Rheanna

Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
I Want To Make Sure I Am Getting Enough Calcium, Iron And Protein. How Do You Do It?
susanna_29,

You can get protein easily by including seeds, beans and lentils in your diet. Calcium is available from milk, of course, and from many vegetables, including spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, and swiss chard. Iron is available from a lot of beans and seeds.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread