It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(male)

son1981 HB User
Exclamation quitting coffee for good

Anyone else quitting? IVe been trying for years have not been able to shake it off but today Is my last day! This drug is no good for me causes me depression/anxiety yet i still take it as a energy booster well im putting my foot down now

Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

lady66 HB User
Re: quitting coffee for good

good luck! I am trying to limit my coffee intake, not so much because I think its unhealthy( i have read many things about how coffee can be good for you) but because its staining my teeth and also I hate how i feel when i dont have coffee and i hate to relay on something. I am switching to tea. Its very good for you and can give you engery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

lzing2 HB User

I managed to shake the coffee habit and addiction...not easy...here is how I did it.

I first started narrowing how many coffee's I had in the day then when I was down to one small, I started drinking decaf.
By narrowing down slowly during the coarse of a few weeks I did not get slammed with the withdrawl headaches that often happen. Then I finally got to the point that I did not like the taste of coffee at all, so I switched to water...which is now all I drink, other than a club soda on Friday night dinner outings with my husband and friends, that keeps me from being bothered by others around me drinking wine etc....I try and stay away from wine, although has health benefits, does not like my wasteline.

I think giving up anything that becomes habit, like coffee, takes time and will power.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
(female)

AppleCore HB User

This has actually been a bit inspiring because I am a heavy coffee drinker but I have quit drinking coffee before for a couple of months, but then one cup and I was hooked again. It's hard because I use it to get rid of cravings, which tea doesn't really help with. Oh well.. I think I will join the quitting coffee bandwagon after today

Old 03-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

Jen121 HB User

I gave it up for lent and plan to never start back

Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
(female)

marie59 HB User

I gave it up and I have notlooked back

Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

Janet S HB User

For me, quitting was very difficult. I was such a big coffee drinker. However, now, on the contrary, I cannot tolerate the bitter taste of coffee. I have tried to drink a few sips and it just cannot go down.

I substitute herbal teas and green tea. I really, really like hot chocolate! But that has to be limited...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
(female)

akazie HB User

I want to give up coffee but when I don't drink it, I feel very lethargic. How would I combat this feeling when giving up or how long do you feel this way when giving up?

TIA

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
(female)

lzing2 HB User

akazie:

If your feeling that tired, I might suggest taking a multi vitamin and try taking potassium, often if your feeling that bad, your body is missing potassium, we don't get enough as adults, and you would have to eat a pile of banana's to get the amount we need. The caffeine is a false crutch and not a friendly chemical, I loved it too, very much, but I did found when I started taking my vitamins,potassium, ate well, exercised my need for the chemical was gone.

Weaning off of it was how I did it, and now I can't stand coffee, or even soda's that contain caffenine.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
(female)

akazie HB User

Thankyou, lzing

I will try taking potassium while I give up.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
(female)

furrysnooky HB User

I had to quit drinking coffee because when I was diagnosed with optic neuritis several years ago, my optic nerves have been damaged and caffeine, intense heat, and alcohol irritates my optic nerves. Also, drinking coffee creates blurry vision because of my optic neuritis.

I will drink coffee one a week and that's it. I substitute it with hot water with lemon and teas.

Several things I noticed from quitting coffee:

1. My skin is not has red or inflamed anymore and when I was drinking coffee; it looked like I had rosacea.
2. I am not has irritated as I use to be
3. My optic nerves don't hurt like they use to with coffee and my eyes feel better
4. I sleep better
5. I am not grumpy or short tempered-minimal effect
6. Overall, I feel much healthier

Old 05-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

I never really drank coffee, I will when Iím so overly tired, but I donít like it, and the thing is, since I never drink coffee, why is it Iím always tired? Because Iím always soooo fatigue, And canít figure it out. Nothing wakes me up, only once in a blue moon a do drink coffee it seems to work, but I still donít see any reason for starting. Because I believe if I become a major coffee drinker, it will only work for a short while then I will get back in to my regular fatigue. And then I will be addicted to coffee even though it does nothing for me. I too am trying to drink more tea, I hardly ever, but I want to start.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

I think I have a "coffee gene" - I consider it one of life's greatest pleasures, BUT, I want to give it up, as well. I would really like to be able to indulge just once/twice a wk, but think ,just one cup and i'm hooked again.

The downside of coffee for me: it makes me jittery and my blood sugar drops, which makes me hungry and then I just end up eating more. I also have borderline high blood pressure, so don't need the caffiene.

I wouldn't mind switching to tea, but honestly find it so incredibly boring, compared to coffee. I could try water with lemon or lime, though. Also tried and liked the new green tea drink, Envinga- It does have caffeine and Splenda, but could mix with half water.

Anyway, I have tried half calf and decaff and they aren't too bad. So I will try what the other poster, did and go from 2 strong cups to one, then maybe try decaf, ect., until I get down to water or tea.

Leea

Old 05-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
(male)

son1981 HB User
Red face Re: quitting coffee for good

hello

I would just like to update I have not totally quit coffee just cut down by a huge amount and OMG i find that i am able to handle stress much better and it has made me a stronger person

its as though the less coffee i dirnk the more mentally stable i am

I am down to one cup a day and hopefully this week i will replace it with green tea or something

on my bad days i have 2 cups but even this is way to much for an extremly anxeity prone sensative person like me ! Lets pray that we all kick this nasty disgusting habbit 4 good!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
(male)

son1981 HB User

hello i have totally switched over to green tea and to be honest i feel much much better I will stick like this for now just gota be strong

Closed Thread