It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Help? Significance of night sweats?

My fiance has these night sweats -- probably once or twice a month? -- for no discernabe reason. I do an internet search and all I get is menopause! The MAN is 39 yrs. old!

The only thing I can see "odd" about his daily habits and such is that he WILL NOT eat during the day. Will not drink water. Gets up, has his coffee and cigarette, goes to work with a thermos of coffee (construction) and doesn't want to eat until after he's been home a couple of hours. Then it is a FEEDING FRENZY (which includes at least one or two 16 oz. glasses of milk) that stops an hour or two before he goes to bed. He insists that because eating makes him sleepy, he just won't eat all day. He lives on coffee, Mountain Dew, and cigarettes. (No, he's not a heavy smoker-- maybe a pack a day.)

The only time I ever see him eat during the day is when we're on a camping/fishing trip.

Does this sound like anything?

Last edited by Lisa_P; 05-18-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Help? Significance of night sweats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_P View Post
Does this sound like anything?
Yes, it sounds like fairly extreme self-abuse. He is lucky that night sweats are all he gets. I think that they are metabolic in nature, like you get with diabetes. Which he is a sitting duck for with his eating habits. What is his weight like? Has he had any cardiac-type checkups? Also, where I come from, a pack a day is considered heavy smoking. Coffee and cigarettes and soft drink all day will eat away his stomach lining eventually. I think if he had one of those checkups where they estimate the age of your body, his would be about 55 by now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Well, besides the obvious fact that he has a really crappy diet, I don't see any reason for the night sweats. I know that I get them from PTSD nightmares, sometimes- but that would be a stretch for most people.

Maybe getting him to drink water would make a difference- it can heal a multitude of medical evils.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

He had ulcers in the past. Before I knew him.
I say "not heavy" in comparison to the people he hangs with(!)...
He also hates doctors/hospitals and will not go.
He calls me a hypochondriac because I have a chronic disease and I try to find answers on the net and from my INFREQUENT visits to the doctor. Geez.
He tells me (often) that he will not live to old age, so I guess he knows he's abusing himself...
Very stubborn man. But there's really nothing *I* can do. is there.

Last edited by Lisa_P; 05-18-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Night sweats can be indicative of many conditions. I don't want to scare you but that was the only symptom a friend had...turned out to be stage 4 lymphoma...he did not recover. I'd get him to a doctor for a checkup...

Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Iím sorry you have such a stubborn husband. Mine was too, until he fell ill, and I was able to influence him a little. If he has diabetes he will feel tired when eating, but it can be controlled, but he needs to be diagnosed with something, then you can fix it with the proper food and medication, I think he needs to see a doctor. You should tell your doctor what you told us and see what he/she thinks, and if he/she thinks it serious, see if your dr, would agree with you sneaking him in, telling him your going somewhere and take him to the doctors with an appointment. You might have to sneak him in the back door. Once he is in, its time for a check up. That is just one idea, worked for my grandpa, but he was soo mad at his family at first, it took all of his children to drag him in to the doctors because he was going crazy, but once he was fixed and not crazy anymore he forgave them.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

violaroses HB User

I have nightsweats near my period. I didnt know night sweats was a clue somewhere your body was going wrong.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
(female)

mmstrong HB User

How old are you?

Closed Thread