It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
(male)

bruiser93 HB User
Exclamation Inside Clock Broken

I can't sleep at the right time! I go to sleep at 4:00 AM! and wake up at 2:00-3:00 PM. Have any advice. School is starting in less than two weeks!!! I'm also moving so if you count the time difference I go to sleep at 1:00 AM and wake up at 11:00AM-12:00PM. I either stay up late or go to bed and can't sleep. Which brings another subject. How do I fall asleep fast. It takes me 1 hour or 1 hour and a half to fall asleep. Sometimes I think of taking these sleeping medications, but I don't want to get addicted not that I have ever been addicted to anything or what if I'm too young. [a teenager]. Should I take medications or except the fact that I take so long to fal asleep. I'm going to try to fall asleep. I think I wrote everything that's worng.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-15-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Do not discuss your age outside of the Teen Boards

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Inside Clock Broken

bruiser93,

Your clock isn't broken, it's just out-of-sync with most of the people around you. When you are grown up, you will be able to choose jobs and a life-style that more suits your own biorythms. Right now you need to figure out a way that will allow you to attend school. In the daytime. Far too early in the morning, but that's the way things are.

This is what people do who move to a really different time zone -- for example clear across the world. It's called jet lag. This means that someone's internal biorythms (clock) are out-of-sync with their surroundings.

My suggestion is to get yourself a great big alarm clock with a very loud alarm. Set it for an appropriate time for getting up for school. Put it clear across the room from your bed. When it goes off in the morning, stagger up, turn it off (have pity on the rest of the family!) and stagger into the bathroom and start washing up for the day. No matter how tired you are, don't go back to bed. Do this every morning. What you will find is that, after about a week, you will be soooo tired in the evening that you will be crashing into bed and falling asleep with little problem.

Your internal clock will reset itself if you are brutal and force it to. You will probably always be a night-owl, but once you have moved your internal clock back a few hours, you can find a way to live with this. You can do all your prep for the next day at night before you go to bed -- take your shower, select your clothes, etc. That way you only need to roll out of bed, into your clothes, eat a quick breakfast and brush your teeth as you stagger out the door to school.

Do your homework in the evening. Most important, turn off your computer by a certain hour (say 8 or 9 pm). Take a book to bed instead.

Good luck on this. It may feel that it's going against what feels natural to you, but unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't ask us our preferences when it sets up how the rest of society works. If it makes you feel better, I also feel out-of-sync with the rest of the world, but in the opposite direction from you. I fall asleep early in the evening. This means that I am glad to visit with friends for dinner or have them visit me for dinner. But then my brain turns off by about 9 pm and I sit there like a bump on a log wishing they would just go home, or that I could just go home and sleep. It's not polite to say this, but all of my friends are aware of this. The rest of the world is just getting started on the conversations and partying at the time when I want to go to bed.

Oh well. We do the best we can. And it's really important that you are at least semi-awake when you walk (stagger) out the door to go to school.

Good luck,

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
(male)

bruiser93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
A reminder of the posting rules: teenagers are to discuss their age ONLY when posting in the Teen Boards.
Sorry, I didn't know.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
(male)

bruiser93 HB User

Thank you Rheanna. I never thought of that (seems obvious now.) I hope I have the strength to not go back to bed tomorrow

Last edited by bruiser93; 08-15-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Closed Thread