It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

suzyb06 HB User
Trying to be healthy in an overwhelming world

Hi -
I am new to these forums; I like the fact that they are actually about the topics they are supposed to be!

I've always had to watch my weight - my mom&sisters are overweight and my brothers have to watch it as well. I am 40+ and have done "spurts" here and there at improving my health. In the last five years, I've learned a lot about foods & cooking and try to incorporate the good parts into my life.

The problem is that there is so much going on, that I have trouble staying on a good path for too long. I have two children left at home (boy 18 & girl 12 3/4) and my husband (2nd marriage), and I work full time. When you combine work, shopping, cooking, home repairs, doctor appointments, finance upkeep, school issues/conferences, auto, etc., it sometimes leaves little room for the brain to think the way you want it to. I also have two "grown" daughters (22 & 24) who ocassionally need my help. My two youngest have ADHD and my youngest battles a multitude of other problems (mental/psychological). The youngest takes a lot of time!

I decided this week that I am going to do my best to walk every single day for approx. 30 minutes. My hubby & I go to the gym 2-3X a week (we do cardio and work out with machines that have weights). We'd love to go more, but we have work that has to get done. I have walked before and do enjoy it tremendously, especially when it is nice outside). So, that is my plan for now. I want to lose weight, but I thought I would just make it a point to walk and only weigh myself once a month (at the beginning). I'm hoping to lose 25 lbs by my birthday (Oct).

Any suggestions for us overwhelmed individuals trying and want to really make a lifestyle change happen?

-suzyb

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?* ~Milton Berle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Trying to be healthy in an overwhelming world

suzyb06,

One part of the grand mix of living a healthy life is finding a way to take care of ourself in the midst of the wonderful chaos that is family life. It sounds like you are looking for ways to do this. I admire you for trying to get away for a 30 minute daily walk. It is an opportunity to clear the mind as well as improve the body. I am trying to get out most days and attack the jungle that our garden has become. I am not a Nature Girl, and I complain about exposing myself to all those fresh air molecules but when I come in after an hour outside, I feel so much better inside and out.

One of the nice things about going for a walk in your neighborhood, or even taking a regular break at work, is being able to see what's going on in the neighborhood, and seeing how things change from season to season.

When I used to work, I would take a home-packed lunch with me, eat it at my desk, and then use my lunch break for a brisk walk. When I worked in a place with shower facilities, I would even incorporate arm and shoulder exercises with small dumbells during my walk. But it isn't always possible to incorporate a shower into the working day, so often it was only a brisk walk that didn't leave me sweating.

Taking time for ourselves, even if there are only small chunks of time here and there available, allows us to refresh and regenerate our energy stores so that we can continue to care for others. We can't keep giving if we have depleted all the good things in our "stores".

Weighing yourself only once a month sounds like a sensible plan. It's so easy to obsess about the number and forget the other things that are a part of being healthy. I've seen people who have more energy from exercise and a better diet, and who fit into smaller clothes, but who give up in disgust because the numbers on the scale haven't budged. There are lots of other ways besides the scale to "measure" how we're doing. In fact I threw out my scale a long time ago. I know how I'm doing health-wise by looking at myself in the mirror, and by how my clothes fit, and by how hard (or easy) it is to climb stairs.

When we become aware that something outside of us needs to be attended to (kids, hubby, bills, appointments, job responsibilities, etc) we figure out a way to do something about it. But we can easily forget to look for the signals that come from the inside of us -- our bodies tell us that they need regular exercise and more veggies, and out minds tell us that they need stimulating hobbies or "down time", and we can too easily ignore these internal signals until our health suffers and we have to pay attention. You are trying to pay attention now, to maintain your health (and sanity ). That sounds like a very healthy thing to do!

OK, I'll report here on how many days I've worked in the garden per week. This week I've gone out 3 times.

--Rheanna

Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

suzyb06 HB User

Rheanna,

Thanks for your insight. I have been able to stick to my walking, either inside on treadmill or outside if weather permits. Hubby & I went to gym twice this week & I feel good about that (we will try to go at least once on weekend as well).

I think that taking some sort of action regarding a change that needs to be made or a problem that needs to be worked makes me feel best. Just knowing that I am actually working on the situation helps.

Regarding my health, I am trying to make this a lifestyle change - for good. I've always had a goal associated with this activity before - an event coming up or losing a certain number of pounds. But this time, I am just trying to simply choose to exercise because I now it is something I need. I figure if I focus on the benefit and not the time it might take away from something else, I can keep a healthy attitude about the choice. I have seen a lot of people start a program and quit within a short time frame (I am guilty as well), but I am going to try and beat the odds. After all, there's so many things to do in life and my kids, even though they are getting older, will still need me. The better I feel physically and mentally, the better I can be for my family!

I guess I'm in a really upbeat mood today - maybe because I've been a good girl this week and exercised all week.

Have a great weekend & enjoy your outdoor time!

suzyb

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

I just want to report that I hauled my bicycle out of the cellar and pedaled around town 4 times last week, and I actually did some of that dreaded garden work a couple of times this week. I hate the thought of exercise (and fresh air!) before I go out, but I always feel better (and sleep so much more soundly) afterwards. As you say, the important thing is to make it a habit.

I expect to do some more gardening today. And one of the things I am going to do starting this week is make it a habit to use one of my exercise DVD'S to do some targetted muscle work. I need to make that a habit now, because winters here in northern Germany often make going outside really unpleasant and sometimes dangerous with ice on the roads. I need to have something to tide me over when I can't get out on my bicycle and when the garden is hibernating. Hibernation is good for the plants, but not good for me.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread