It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

srfjeld HB User
i can't drink in moderation, does that mean i'm a alcoholic?

i can't drink in moderation, does that mean i'm a alcoholic?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
(female)

JessTNineHole HB User
Re: i can't drink in moderation, does that mean i'm a alcoholic?

I think you would have to explain that a lil further.
Drinking and getting drunk is a whole dif situation
getting drunk and being passed out on the floor is even more
and have you lost your job.

everything in moderation
i think my aunt told me this once

one drink a day
3 drinks a night
5 drinks a week

if you can't stand by that then yes seek help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

srfjeld HB User

I guess I should have made that more clear. I suppose I can drink in moderation some of the time but my problem is with social settings. At parties I can never seem to stop and in the morning I often forget things I did the night before. I suppose I am more of a binge drinker.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Not being able to drink in moderation is the definition of an alcoholic.

Alcoholics often liken that first drink to stepping off a cliff, there's no going back once you start. Gulping drinks, binge drinking and blackouts are also classic signs of alcoholism.

If you don't want to try a meeting yet, quit for awhile, see how you do. Maybe you'll luck out and it'll just be a passing phase? If it's tied to an emotional problem (like social anxiety) a therapist can help.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

It's hard to tell without knowing you and seeing exactly what is going on. I often don't drink I moderation, but I'm far from an alcoholic. Let me explain.. I'm young and just drink when I want to relax and have a good time. I often don't just have a few drinks.. I would always drink to get drunk. I'd often get sick from it because I kept going when I should have stopped. Now, I'd only do that once a week tops. And recently, maybe only once a month, and I have less than I used to. I am a very healthy person and watch my calories, so I don't drink just for the taste, I drink at parties and to have fun. I used to not really have fun without it because I would feel like the only one sober, but now I've realized that I have just as much fun either way.

I know some alcoholics. These are people who really can not go without drinking. They feel like they always need it. They often drink every day, every night. Many of them act completely different or get angry, not just happy and silly like my friends and I. Sometimes they do it from depression or just from not being happy. I think the only TRUE way to tell if you have a problem with alcohol is to talk to somebody about it. There are many counselors who talk to people with alcohol problems who can help you determine if you are in danger of alcoholism. Or you can just think about it yourself... is it interfering with your life? I've had those nights when I did dumb things or forget what happened, but I was able to move on.. but if it starts creating serious issues and you feel like you can't stop, it sounds like a problem.

Closed Thread