It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

mepimp38 HB User
healthiest breakfast

what are the healthiest breakfasts

Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
I vote for steel cut oats

In general, I think the healthiest breakfasts are those that are the least processed: Choose whole grain like steel cut oats. Quick cooking oats is more processed than slow cooking oats and slow cooking oats is more processed than steel cut oats. Then you want to make sure you don't overcook your oats because cooking is a form of processing. If the cereal gets like mush, then it's overcooked. It's best when it's a little chewy. Add some unsweetened soymilk, a serving of fruit and unroasted nuts. Sprinkle on a little cinnamon.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-19-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

NCTransplant HB User
Smile Re: healthiest breakfast

You can eat a high fiber cereal with 1% or skim milk. Not all of them taste like cardboard...I bought Maple/Brown Sugar frosted mini wheats. No sodium, 5 grams of fiber and tastes pretty decent, in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
(male)

DannyTX HB User
Re: healthiest breakfast

I don't know if this qualifies as the healthiest breakfast, but most weekday mornings I have a grilled peanut butter sandwich. I make it similar to a grilled cheese sandwich, but with peanut butter. I use wheat bread, peanut butter, and Smart Balance Light.

I figure I'm getting fiber and monounsaturated fat protein. It is filling as well. I eat it with sugar free syrup. MMMmmm Good!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

Lucy321 HB User

I tend to have Sultana Bran with skimmed milk, but I would imagine anything with high-fibre and low fat content would be good.

I also like oatmeal with honey, if I feel like a change, or occasionally wholemeal toast.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
(female)

beth67 HB User

I usually have steamed vegetables, hard boiled egg, nuts and decaf tea. I feel really good eating this for breakfast. I think a good protein, a little fat and fiber are a good way to start out the day.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
(female)

NCTransplant HB User
Smile Re: healthiest breakfast

Heres another idea! Egg substitute (I prefer Better N Eggs) along with some vegies, a little cheese, you can even toast a piece of high fiber bread, cube it and throw it in. Spray a large coffee mug with PAM, throw the ingredients in and microwave. YUM! Full of protein and some fiber with the high fiber bread. Fills you up and good for you!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
(male)

johndavid1804 HB User

Have a glass of milk with some fruits.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
(female)

StickyMedia HB User

For me a healthy breakfast is following some of the suggested food in the food pyramid. Also, you could do some exercise to balance the physical shape of your body.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

This time of year, I eat fruit and cheese. I have found a variety of mixed fruits in the deli section at my local grocer. They have several varieties that are prepared and ready to eat. The variety I purchase has a long shelf life in the refrigerator and they are more economical than buying individual fruits in the produce section that tend to spoil so rapidly. I limit myself to the one slice of cheese a day as I do have cholesterol issues. In the cooler months, I use oatmeal and toast and homemade jams that have no preservatives. Somedays, I have a slice of toasted Banana Nut bread (homemade) I rarely do eggs or meat because of the cholesterol issues. So the grains and fruit are definitely a better choice for me.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Thumbs up Here's a healthy breakfast idea

mepimp38,

This is what I've been eating lately for breakfast: I start with a dish of cooked vegetables. It doesn't have to be a lot. I might measure one cup of chopped (frozen) collard greans and a half cup of frozen peas with no added sodium. Steam them in a one quart pan for about 3 minutes. After cooking, add one teaspoon of olive oil.

I thought I wouldn't like vegetables for breakfast but now I'm a big believer - I'm hooked. And after the vegetables, I eat my regular oatmeal breakfast.

Note: I got the idea because I was looking for some natural way of getting more calcium in my diet. So that's why I often use collard greens, turnip greens etc.. I add the peas because it just seems to make it more fun to eat.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
(male)

Good foodie HB User

I love rolled oats cooked in water with a pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Add a small chopped apple, a few chopped almonds and if available, fresh blueberries. If no fresh blueberries are available I add a few dried cranberries and raisins.
You can have a pretty big portion of this and it will hold you up until lunch and you wont get fat eating it.
Another good breakfast is brown rice and beans. Almost anything that you have for other meals is fine for breakfast.
I personally avoid wheat and dairy products (eggs are OK in moderation). Wheat is bad for me (and for most people). Likewise with milk which causes indigestion, inflammation and mucous.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
(male)

Good foodie HB User
Re: Here's a healthy breakfast idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
mepimp38,

This is what I've been eating lately for breakfast: I start with a dish of cooked vegetables. It doesn't have to be a lot. I might measure one cup of chopped (frozen) collard greans and a half cup of frozen peas with no added sodium. Steam them in a one quart pan for about 3 minutes. After cooking, add one teaspoon of olive oil.

I thought I wouldn't like vegetables for breakfast but now I'm a big believer - I'm hooked. And after the vegetables, I eat my regular oatmeal breakfast.

Note: I got the idea because I was looking for some natural way of getting more calcium in my diet. So that's why I often use collard greens, turnip greens etc.. I add the peas because it just seems to make it more fun to eat.
Totally a great suggestion! The only thing I would change (for myself only) is to reduce the oil to a minimum or avoid it altogether.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
(female)

MelSilver HB User

Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast. It helps reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in your body. This could be a boring meal so you can make it more fun by adding some fruits (fresh or dried), yogurt, honey, and some spices into your bowl.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I think fruits, nuts and grains make good breakfasts. Whole wheat bread made by a bread machine at home and toasted buttered with almond butter might be good with many a fruit sliced on top.

I think vegetables and grains could make good breakfasts on different days.

Crockpot beans made overnight, with various vegetables in it or added the next morning partly cooked for a short time if desired make good breakfasts.

Whole grains such as rice can be cooked in the crockpot and fruit nuts and raisins or other dried unsulfered fruit can be added.

Vegetables are said to make war with fruits and therefore aught not to be used in the same meal at the same time. It would be better to keep them in separate meals.

Some say baking soda is not healthful so I would avoid that in the pancakes and use a fruit topping made with a bit of oat flour to thicken instead of artificial or real syrups.

I would avoid artificial anything as the additives are said to be unhealthy and can often contribute to problems such as headaches. I would avoid all animal products as these often contain bacteria which cannot be destroyed by heat according to some sources and also contain cancerous or tuberculous pathogens.

Closed Thread