It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Smile How important is dietary fiber?

It's more important than I realized: In addition to providing bulk to promote regularity and satiety or fullness, it's involved in the removal of excess hormones, carcinogenic substances and vitamins (excessive amounts).

In the past, every time I read about B-12 the information was that we can't manufacture enough in our own bodies. But last night I read something different from the book: "Stopping Cancer Before it Starts":

"In some cases, fiber actually creates nutrients we need. Vitamin B-12 is an example. Gut flora feeding on and fermenting or otherwise transforming particular kinds of fiber produces most of the B-12 we need."

The above quote is probably true, assuming that you maximize the amount of fiber in your diet. Unfortunately, most people don't.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: How important is dietary fiber?

I agree with this. Yet, too much fiber can also be detrimental. I think that for most people 30% of their diets should consist of raw veggies and fruits and whole grains. Some may need more, some less, and the figures may also vary according to the season.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
I agree with this. Yet, too much fiber can also be detrimental. I think that for most people 30% of their diets should consist of raw veggies and fruits and whole grains. Some may need more, some less, and the figures may also vary according to the season.
Almost everything I eat has fiber in it because I eat a plant based diet. However, I do have about one ounce of salmon every morning with my breakfast. So I would say that my diet has a very high percentage of fiber and I haven't seen any downside yet.

Those who see it as detrimental have perhaps had a bad experience because of introducing too much too soon. And perhaps it was because of over indulging in a high fiber cereal. But assuming that you get all of your fiber from natural whole foods, there shouldn't be any problem.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I do eat fruits and veggies, but I don't eat as much fiber as many people I know. A lot of foods very high in fiber upset my stomach very badly. I'm sure with time my stomach would get used to it, but I can't be running to the bathroom at work! I'll be so bloated all day and feel terrible if I eat one of those Fiber One bars or cereal with a lot of fiber. Not fun!

If I eat lots of fresh berries, salads, other fruits and veggies, should that be sufficient? I guess I've never counted up my grams of fiber for the day. I don't care for a lot of vegetables, but I eat lots of spinach leaves or darker salads (not a big fan of iceberg lettuce). I love fruit and eat it pretty often with meals or as a snack. I especially love to eat tomatoes and could eat them every day if I had them around. I also eat whole wheat products for my breads. White bread isn't as satisfying to me anyway and I'm left hungrier.

I feel fine and I'm regular, so I'd think my diet is fine in terms of fiber.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tUrRrRa,

You asked: "If I eat lots of fresh berries, salads, other fruits and veggies, should that be sufficient?"

After I started this thread I found a good book on fiber. The title is: "The Fiber35 Diet". The author, Brenda Watson, suggests that we try to get at least 35 grams of fiber per day. The average person gets about 15 grams per day.

I haven't tryed to calculate my fiber consumption yet, but I have a feeling it's not all that easy to get to 35 grams. This morning I tryed to figure roughly what I get from breakfast and it came to about 6 grams. My lunch should be better because beans contain more fiber than oatmeal.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
(female)

NCTransplant HB User
Smile Re: How important is dietary fiber?

Keep a food diary. It may be time consuming at the beginning but you will be amazed to see where you are getting your fiber as well as other good or bad in your diet. I started a food diary to track my sodium and now track my fat, total calories and fiber. And yes you are right, I do not get anywhere close to what I should be getting in my daily diet for fiber. I am averaging around 17-20 mg of fiber. But I am working on it!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
(male)

johndavid1804 HB User

Avoid to take any medicine without knowledge or take any doctor help.
Medicine may contain various harmful side effects also.

Closed Thread