It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
(male)

Powyourdead HB User
Getting Back into a healthy lifstyle

Hi, I am 22 years old and have some questions. When i was in highschool i was in fantastic shape had a six pack and the works. When i went to college i got into this funk that i would always work out at school and when it would come time to a big break like christmas and stuff i would just kinda not work out.. I have been out of school now and have gained only about 5 pounds but am sure most of the lean muscle mass has now converted into a layer of fat.. I really want to become active again.

I was just wondering if i could get some advice about the right kinds of pill type things i should by.. As far as fish oil or b-12 etc.. I think that i will be starting out with a lot of cardio and once i become confident in that aspect i will move to gaining muscle mass back doing free weights.
Also what do you think is better as far as a fat burning cardio.. running or biking? Also just kind of a stupid question but exactly how much difference does having a healthy diet have versus having a cliche american diet haha! Thx for reading..

Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Getting Back into a healthy lifstyle

Powyourdead,

About having a healthy diet: That's actually a verry good question! I have seen overweight people work-out day after day and never make any progress to reduce their waistlines because they refuse to improve their diets. It's good that they do work out but they just never achieve their goal to look better and have the best health possible.

The author of the Zone diet, Dr. Barry Sears, has stated that about 3/4 of the work is to adopt healthy eating habits and 1/4 is exercise. I have tried it and I believe he is correct. If you eat a healthy diet, you don't have to "kill yourself" working out to be healthy.

I recently saw a photo of about 8 retired high school athletic-coaches and they all looked like they were pregnant. I assume they didn't look like that when they were young and active. The problem is: They obviously never paid any attention to developing healthy eating habits.

As far as exercise: I"m a big believer in walking. Walking (slowly or briskly) is actually very good exercise and you won't likely have to wory about getting knee-replacement surgery when you get older. Stretching exercise is also very important as is working out with hand weights. Sit-ups and deep knee bends can be helpful too. (The only time I run is when I'm out walking and it starts to rain)

About pills: If you're young and healthy and you eat a healthy diet you probably don't need to worry about taking any pills. Pills, in my opinion, should only be taken if you have a proven need or deficiency.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-09-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: To delete quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
(male)

Powyourdead HB User
Smile Re: Getting Back into a healthy lifstyle

Thanks for the reply! Ill def take a look at that book about the dieting. I already kinda skimmed over the site on the internet which has a lot of good info.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powyourdead View Post
Also what do you think is better as far as a fat burning cardio.. running or biking?
Whatever you will actually do.

Note that running, bicycling, or walking can be used to do something useful, like commuting to work. Doing that makes it less likely that your exercise will get squeezed out of your day when life gets hectic.

If you do cardio in a gym, you may want to consider the rowing machine or swimming in the pool, since those are full body workouts, rather than primarily lower body workouts.

Yes, having a healthy diet makes a huge difference compared to a "typical American diet" that is heavy in sugar and bad fats (and excess calories) while being low in fiber and several vitamins and minerals.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
(male)

johndavid1804 HB User

Better you should Jogg everyday in the morning with a balance diet.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
(female)

StickyMedia HB User

you could go back to your usual routine when you were still slim. However, if that can't be undone anymore, then you could try to discipline your self by controlling what you eat. eat healthy foods not the fatty ones and do exercise daily.

Last edited by StickyMedia; 04-16-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Closed Thread