It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
(male)

davidh30 HB User
a job doing what you love?

I need a job/career change. I'm not motivated doing what I'm doing now and so my income has dropped off. I was a self employed business / internet marketing consultant.

I've read a few self help / personal development type books over the years so I'm familiar with the passion to motivation connection and how that relates to success.

I seem to have come across a lot of web chat in the last year about 'finding your purpose, doing what you love, creating a business doing what you love, finding your soul purpose', and terms like authenticity and personal branding used a lot.

I have 2 questions.
#1 I've been self employed all my life, can't imagine working for someone else. Any advice on making the transition? Any suggestions for jobs?

#2 why do i even want a job? I think I'm just so stressed out I need a major change, and my x-wife's advice is to get a job.

#3 any suggestions for home based business opportunities that are in the self development field? Anything you've tried that actually works? I'm already familiar with lots of bizzopps and affiliate programs and I think the only people who succeed with them are 'salespeople' by nature, which I'm not.

#4 anyone doing what they love or have a friend who has found something. I'm not talking a job you like, but really love. I personally can't think of a single friend who is. Maybe a couple self employed artists, but they barely get by financially. I guess we need to add that to the criteria, it's got to make decent money! Guess I should put a figure on that... $50/hour +. But still I'd like to hear of anything related to a job or work or business you love, regardless of income, just to help get ideas.

note: I've considered life coaching, I mean both getting coached, which I did have a trial session with someone which was really good, but also becoming a life coach. I'm leaning away from that for these reason:
-my research indicates most coaches are not making money
-coaching school is expensive
-i feel personally like a failure right now, so I'd feel like a fraud becoming a life coach for someone else. Although, with my nature and my education / life / business experience I could probably do it quite well.

yeesh, can i ramble or what? 2 cups of coffee and i'm flyin!
ok, thanks in advance for everyone's contributions... truly, sincerely appreciate it. I got super quality advice from here about the relationships question i asked, so now I have high expectations, but maybe nobody will reply! we'll see! thanks again!

-david

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
(male)

rfactsok HB User
Re: a job doing what you love?

Self employed your entire life, why would you consider going against the crowd learning just lately what you've known all of your life. Ditch the ex ,she's not helping and find a product or service you believe in and do what you know how to do. Get excited or remarry your ex. Good luck

Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: suggestions for a job/biz "doing what you love"?

Hey David,

I'm glad you found the spot to put your question...

I think "doing what you love" is something that needs to built into your life, over a long time, and often requires support from a job. It may be difficult to fast start into doing what you love, without having a reliable income to live on, and savings to back you up.

I know people who are doing what they love, and they are a local handyman (dear friend of mine), and a mobile veterinarian. The handyman came out of skill and experience, and the vet came out of education in a field relating to her love of animals. Both are self employed, but both have worked for others along the way.

My own father ended up doing the thing he loved, in a more traditional way. He retired from the military, and became an orchid grower for many years.

These are just my personal experiences, I hope it helps!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: suggestions for a job/biz "doing what you love"?

If I were young again and were given a chance to start from scratch again, I think I would like a job in the area of personal health, in particular the treatment and care of children. On a daily basis you are able to see that most children nowadays are suffering from various ailments already in the early years of their life, and that conventional medicine is not providing their parents or caretakers with the necessary answers. No healthy society can exist if its very basis - childhood - is out of shape. Please explore this vast field, too, and check to see if any corner of it fits your personality and ambition to learn more and do something urgently. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: a job doing what you love?

David,

With the economy being as slow as it is, it's going to be tough to fulfill everything you said you want in a job: 1) You would like to have your own home based business 2) It should be something that you will love and 3) It should pay decent money. Even in good economic times that would be a tall order.

1) If it's to be a home based business, how much money are you willing to invest? Most businesses require some investment.

2) What do you love to do? Do you have any hobbies or interests that you love?

3) How about being an online investor in stocks and bonds? All you would need is your computer, a discount broker, and lots of money that you don't know what to do with. :-)

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-30-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Rewording

Closed Thread