It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

DannyTX HB User
Motivation

My motivation is getting shot down lately.

I am in my fifties. I have been a semi-health nut since forever. I get exercise approximately six days a week, aerobic and weight training. I eat right. I drink very little beer. I like beer and would drink more of it, except at my age it is hard to keep my weight where I want it. Also, I like being able to do the things that I do because of my health that others at my age simply can’t do. I am an avid outdoorsman, (hunting, fishing, golf, etc.)

My motivation has been having a younger wife, a young son, and wanting to be here for them, and just simply because I don't want to be some big lard butt couch potato that drops dead of a heart attack at 60.

Now I am starting to lose my motivation. My dad has early stages of Alzheimer's. Do I want to take a chance on developing Alzheimer's as a health nut? I could live to be 100, but dead from the neck up for the last twenty-five years. The cancer rate around here is sky high. I am losing friends and acquaintances right and left.

I am beginning to ask myself everyday why? Why do I bust my butt exercising and staying in shape, just to have a pretty high chance of developing any number of debilitating or fatal diseases?

Last edited by DannyTX; 02-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
(male)

jayjey HB User
Re: Motivation

Hi,

I've felt the same way some times. But, my interest to stay healthy is to live a healthy / active life until I die or until I am able to do it physically. I like to healthy to be able to support my kids physically as long as I could.

I like to be able to stay fit and active when I retire at 65 (well, if I am alive until then), being able to walk, do household chores, look healthy in face and body (sort of good feeling to look healthy as we age)...

Plus, I also feel it is do with bit of self esteem when you feel healthy and folks around you say, Good.. you are keeping yourself well at this age...

That is it.. Its simple. Working out / sweating also gives me lot of psychological benefits where I get to forget about lots of stressful things around me until I workout or even after my workout plus when I am busy with work. I seem to feel dull (could that be endorphins) if I do not workout and not be part of any physical activity. Mine is a desk job.

Good luck.. Keep up your fitness.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-26-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTX View Post
Also, I like being able to do the things that I do because of my health that others at my age simply canít do.
Isn't this motivation enough?

Quote:
Now I am starting to lose my motivation. My dad has early stages of Alzheimer's. Do I want to take a chance on developing Alzheimer's as a health nut? I could live to be 100, but dead from the neck up for the last twenty-five years. The cancer rate around here is sky high. I am losing friends and acquaintances right and left.

I am beginning to ask myself everyday why? Why do I bust my butt exercising and staying in shape, just to have a pretty high chance of developing any number of debilitating or fatal diseases?
Modifiable risk factors regarding Alzheimer's disease include general heart health (high blood pressure and the like tend to increase risk of Alzheimer's disease). For many cancers, the risk is also increased by obesity, lack of exercise, poor diet, etc..

While there are no guarantees, healthy living may make it more likely that you can avoid Alzheimer's disease and cancer, or at least delay the onset of such problems.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
(male)

DannyTX HB User

Good points! I guess I knew that fitness reduces the likelihood of these diseases and conditions, but just hadn’t thought about it in a while. Thanks for the reminder! Plus I really enjoy a good workout. It just helps to unwind the day.

I suppose that what I need to end this week is a more vigorous that usual workout, or a beer or two, or both.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

While it's true that there's no cure for Alzheimer's, it's largely preventable. This has been shown by human population studies. They can even tell you what lifestyle factors will put you at greater risk. For example: A person who has a large waistline at middle age is 6 times more likely to develope Alzheimer's disease later in life.

Here are some tips to avoid Alzheimer's:

1) Make sure you get a good night's sleep

2) Avoid stress

3) Maintain a steady healthy weight

4) Eat a healthy diet (basically the same as a diet to prevent heart disease) Avoid
foods that promote inflammation like sugar and baked goods made with white
flour. Avoid red meat and other items high in saturated fat.

If you do a search, I'm sure you will find a book or two on this subject. I read one about a year ago but can't recall the title. I think it was something like "Alzheimer's Prevention".

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-26-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Made a sentence more complete.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

The book I was trying to remember is: The Anti-Alzheimer's Prescription by Dr. Vincent Fortanasce. This doctor specializes in treating dementia and has a lot of good sugestions for prevention.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
My motivation is getting shot down lately.
DannyTX - WHY NOT???? Who knows that your lifestyle hasn't kept something extremely serious away? Or healed it outright? I want to live to be 100. I want my mind and my body to be there together functioning well. I will do all I can to help this happen, now at 54.

I see friends/family much younger than I beginning to have problems from their poor choices of diet, no exercise, etc and it is sad. They are in their 30's and early 40's!! WOW. Many of the issues they are dealing with can be erased with just some minor modifications in their lives. They choose to sit around, have tests, pay their docs and take an endless stream of meds.
No thanks. That's not for me.
It's my way of being high maintenance I suppose.

Of course, on my way to get my organic food and/or supplements that person eating his donut while driving can t-bone my car and kill me.
Just like a disease, too. But I will do all I can to prevent it from happening.

ETA: I have an "older" husband. Who chooses sedentary lifestyle and a TON of meds from his doctor for his survival. His diet is awful. He looks 20 years older than I, acts it too and he is only four years older!! Just something to think about!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-04-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: editing quote

Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
(female)

beemotivated HB User

Look after your body and your body will look after you!
I practice what I preach every single day. Also, I take concentrated, organic vitamin & mineral supplements.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-04-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

neuroticwriter HB User

I think it is wonderful that you are in such good shape, especially at your age. I wish I had the energy you have! Doing what you are doing is the best way to lower your chances for developing Alzheimer's, heart disease,stroke, diabetes, and a host of other terrible diseases. Your wife and son should be all the motivation you need. You can't live your life scared about what may or may not happen in the future. You should do exactly what you have been doing, eat right, exercise, and love your family as much as you can. The rewards are great, as I am sure you are aware.

Closed Thread