It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

Janaly HB User
Question Caffiene! How Much-How Little and Why?

How much is too much? Do you feel your blood pressure is elevated
by drinking coffee? Do you crave coffee? What is it about coffee that
keeps you coming back to it? Could you live without coffee? Have you
tried? So many questions now how about some replies?

When you order decaf do you think you are really getting it?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Caffiene! How Much-How Little and Why?

No, i do not trust anyone to be sure a drink is really decaf. I never take a chance, I do not order drinks when away from home.

Remember, decaf anything can still have up to 3% caffeine.

I am very sensitive to caffeine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

Janaly HB User
Lightbulb Re: Caffiene! How Much-How Little and Why?

Thanks for your reply Misty.

I think too that I am very sensitive to Caffeine. Although when
ordering decaf my blood pressure and body feel so excelled?
So like you perhaps it would be a good idea for me to cut it
out completely especially in the form of coffees. Getting even
3% caffeine as you suggested might not be so good eh. Far
as drinking it at home...dunno? I have a neighbor that gave
me her Starbucks decaf she didn't want. I asked her Why she
did not drink it anymore. She said mostly because I feel to hyper
even though it was decaf.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I quit caffeine 25 years ago...and it was tough as I was very addicted to it. However, I have fibroid cysts in my breast and was having irregular heartbeats from so much of it. I drank hot tea so the coffee wasn't an issue (quit coffee years before when I quit smoking and it didn't taste right any more!). I went to decaf and herbal teas and no soft drinks other than ginger ale when I have an upset stomach. So I mostly drink my tea and water and a glass of wine a day...and that's it. It is odd though that I HAVE to have that cup of decaf tea in the AM! I think it's jsut the "idea" of it and that it's warm...I certainly feel better and sleep better since I got off the stuff - and I don't do chocolate either are it has caffeine in it.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

Janaly HB User
Smile Re: Caffiene! How Much-How Little and Why?

I appreciate your comments and thoughts Titchou....

Ya know today as I was drinking my coffee and feeling fast heart beats
(or so it seemed) I thought stop stop and drink some herbal tea! I meant
to start my changes last week but have not as yet. Also the soft drinks
I know need to be eliminated from my diet also. So again better now then
never and I am off to the store to do some shopping and herbal tea is for
sure on the list. I'll be sure it's decaf too! Gosh no chocolate...now that
will be a real challenge....although just having a piece here and there instead
of 2 full candy bars would be helpful eh. I am allergic to wines....get the
hives and stuff but I will check into something more compatible.

It's so nice to have this forum (I am new) and still learning the ropes
and all but am so glad to be here and a member. Thanks for stopping
by my post.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-24-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
(male)

Jason Ramirez HB User

I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago. I was a coffee addict and could gulp 4 to 8 cups a day! To say I was a little high-strung is an understatement. Iím not sure whether it was the coffee or my diet, but my blood pressure was affected and the doctor has told me to be careful. Iíve been on a heart healthy diet since and that includes no coffee! I do however, take a cocoa tea (CocoPure) instead Ė itsí one of those heart-healthy beverages containing green tea, resveratrol and pure cocoa. All three are nutrients considered to support healthy cholesterol levels and support normal blood pressure. I havenít been on medication so far which is great!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
(female)

Janaly HB User
Smile Re: Caffiene! How Much-How Little and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ramirez View Post
I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago. I was a coffee addict and could gulp 4 to 8 cups a day! To say I was a little high-strung is an understatement. Iím not sure whether it was the coffee or my diet, but my blood pressure was affected and the doctor has told me to be careful. Iíve been on a heart healthy diet since and that includes no coffee! I do however, take a cocoa tea (CocoPure) instead Ė itsí one of those heart-healthy beverages containing green tea, resveratrol and pure cocoa. All three are nutrients considered to support healthy cholesterol levels and support normal blood pressure. I havenít been on medication so far which is great!
Hello Jason,

Cocoa Tea....? I will read up on that. So you were a coffee addict....and
your blood pressure affected too......so is mine I believe but I am already
making changes.

No medications for you and a healthy diet! Congrats!

Thanks for dropping in.....

Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

I began drinking coffee as a six year old! Thanks to gramma!!

And I LOVE it so much. Very strong, cream/sugar.

I try to purchase organic as often as I can as well as the sugar and creamers too.

I limit to two 6oz cups in morning only. Then it's Black and/or Green teas with organic honey if I want.

I never got jittery or palpitations from mine and as long as it is in moderation, I am going to enjoy. I hear the decaf is questionable, tho.

Personally I feel caffeinated sodas/colas do more harm than coffee. But that is just my opinion. And I am a coffee lover!!

Oh, and thanks to Jason. I am going to look into that!!

Last edited by starryGal09; 03-27-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: To thank Jason Ramirez

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
(male)

Tranquility81 HB User

I am a recovering coffee addict. I used to drink several strong cups a day. I have recently cut back to two cups a day (one in the morning and one in the evening). Soon I will cut back to one cup in the morning, then eventually none. I am hoping it will have a positive effect on my blood pressure and anxiety.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi caffeine is said to be bad for the nervous system and I don't happen to think anyone should use anything with that in there.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I have caffeine, but I make sure to not have way too much! Studies show that it can be beneficial for certain things, but of course you have to keep it in moderation or there can be risks. On days when I have coffee, it's usually just one cup in the morning, maybe one cup later on (but usually just one). I also have diet sodas occasionally. I tried giving them up, not because of the caffeine but because of the artificial sweetener. I love diet soda so I was pretty grumpy and kept thinking about it! I get migraines and find that having a diet soda along with my medication helps me a lot. For this reason, I will continue to have it and don't plan on giving it up. Maybe one day! I just try to not have too much of it. I drink mostly water and drink quite a bit of water each day.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janaly View Post
How much is too much? Do you feel your blood pressure is elevated by drinking coffee?
I never took my blood pressure after drinking coffee (I'm not a coffee drinker) but after several days of eating a small amount of chocolate daily, I began to notice a rapid pulse. Because the amount of chocolate was small and likewise the amount of caffeine was small too, it took about 10 days to get the rapid pulse. Here's why: There's a gene in your liver for caffeine metabolism and because of individual differences, you may be a fast or slow processor. I am so slow to process caffeine that even a small amount daily will build up in my system.

Slow processors are said to have an increased risk for non-fatal heart attacks. What if I hadn't connected the dots that the caffeine in the chocolate was causing my rapid pulse? I can see where the end result might have been a heart attack.

The other problem with coffee is its high acid content. This can cause calcium to be leached from your bones. This happens when your body uses the calcium from your bones to nutralize the acid in the coffee.

There will always be some research to show this or that benifit from drinking coffee. The problem is that they never seem to present the whole picture of "good and bad" together. So people think that the scientists are always changing their minds. I don't think they are. It's just that some studies may be funded by commercial interests and they want to show only a positive result.

If someone wants to speed up their metabolism for the purpose of weight loss, I think there are safer ways of doing that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
sjb (11-16-2011), tUrRrRa (11-16-2011)
Closed Thread