It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
(female)

tiredofthebs HB User
Rapid Weight Gain

I am a 25 year old female. In the last 3.5 years I have gained almost 100lbs. In the last 3 months alone I have gained almost 35 pounds. I am eating healthy and going to Curves, but cannot seem to get the weight down, and just keep gaining. I get swollen ankles sometimes, and have increased lower back pain due to the weight. I have started getting purple stretch marks on my lower abdomen. I drink a pile of water.

What are some causes of this rapid weight gain, or is it even rapid??

Am I still not excersising enough??

Tiredofthebs

The following user gives a hug of support to tiredofthebs:
ajpa (02-24-2011)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Rapid Weight Gain

Hi How much is the "pile of water?" I was taught that there may be several reasons why a person collects water. 1. that the kidneys might not be clearing the water. 2. there may be something wrong with the liver and ascites may be developing. 3. The heart may be weak and not functioning correctly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

If by "eating right" you mean that you're keeping your calories in a healthy range then rapid weight gain such as you describe sounds fairly serious.

I would definitely see a doctor and ask for a full panel of tests. I gained 90 lbs over a 9 year period due to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. So definitely ask for a thyroid test, but there are a lot of illnesses that can cause weight gain. PCOS, Cushings, etc.

They also need to rule out diseases that would cause you to retain a lot of water in your abdomen, in case the weight gain is caused from water retention.

The Following User Says Thank You to EagleRiverDee For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-14-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi has an appointment with a health professional been made to find out what is happening?

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
(male)

dewet HB User

Eating healthy is relative, get someone to help you check how many calories you are actually consuming. You are going to Curves and they should be able to advise you. But if your calories are not the problem I agree medical advice is needed.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

I also agree that you need to go to a doctor. If you are exercising and eating right, you should not be gaining weight so rapidly. Do you have a primary care physician?

You should definitely go to one and explore what is going on with your body.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
(female)

whatser HB User

Google Cushings Disease. The "purple stretch marks" are a classic symptom of Cushings.

The Following User Says Thank You to whatser For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-08-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
(male)

Aldrich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthebs View Post
I am a 25 year old female. In the last 3.5 years I have gained almost 100lbs. In the last 3 months alone I have gained almost 35 pounds. I am eating healthy and going to Curves, but cannot seem to get the weight down, and just keep gaining. I get swollen ankles sometimes, and have increased lower back pain due to the weight. I have started getting purple stretch marks on my lower abdomen. I drink a pile of water.

What are some causes of this rapid weight gain, or is it even rapid??

Am I still not excersising enough??

Tiredofthebs
Healthy eating's always have influence on your health so always have some foods which are under control diet. You should have some cardio and have green tea in your diet plan.....

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
(male)

dewet HB User

Aldrich most weight gain is due to an intake of more calories than you are expending, but in your case this seems to be an extremely fast weight gain and I would recommend medical tests. Although I am no doctor it sounds like it may be your thyroid that is causing the problem, just based on what I have heard otehr people experience. Best to seek professional advice, such rapic gain is not normally attributable to a lack of exercise.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
(female)

Adalyn HB User

It may be because of hormones imbalance

Closed Thread