It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
(male)

micro HB User
Way to Lower LDL?

Hey all,

Besides exercise (which I will start doing), what are some food that can help lower LDL?

I've read food high in soluble fiber is one type that can help. What else can help?

I'm 25... and this is the first time I've been told that I have a high LDL. My doc told me to start eating healthier. He isn't too concern yet because my HDL/LDL ratio is still within normal... But still, I want to fix this before it's too late!

Thanks!!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Way to Lower LDL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Hey all,

Besides exercise (which I will start doing), what are some food that can help lower LDL?

I've read food high in soluble fiber is one type that can help. What else can help?
You could lower your intake of any animal protein that is high in fat and eat more whole (non-starchy) plant foods such as dark leafy greens etc..

Avoid stress and avoid gaining weight. I believe I once read that stress can raise your cholesterol. Overeating (even healthy foods) can raise cholesterol too. If you overeat, some of your food will be converted and stored as fat.

Example: Let's say you eat a lot of high calorie foods that contain no cholesterol and no fat. But you eat so much that some of the calories get converted to fat. What kind of fat does it get converted to? Saturated fat! So that would likely raise your LDL cholesterol even though the food you ate did not contain any.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Way to Lower LDL?

Hi some people say to increase fruits, vegetables, greens, whole grain, nuts, and garlic. More sunshine may help convert cholesterol to vitamin D. It might be helpful to avoid artificial sources of vitamin D since then the body may not have as much of a need to do any conversion of the cholesterol to the natural form of D in the body.
They say it is important to reduce or avoid coffee, white sugar, cholesterol, alcohol, saturated fat trans fatty acids, meats, cured cheeses, eggs, dairy products, and protein.

Closed Thread