It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
anybody into juicing?

hello, for the past few years i was an occasional juicer of basic things like apples, carrots, celery and beets. i have a brevil juice fountain compact and it is a great juicer for its price and is nice and compact. however i decided i wanted to start juicing more often and include things i couldnt do with what i had like leafy greens and wheatgrass. so i got the omega vert 350 HD. ive only had it a few days but iam very impressed and notice i get alot more yielding of juice than i did the brevil. now to be fair the brevil juice i have is 3 times less expensive than the omega. but i consider this to be an investment into my health and i know i will use it daily. its a masculating single auger that rotates at a much slower 80 RPM so their is no heating and destroying of enzymes. im giving my brevil juicer to my sister and that will be a good way to get some juice into her and her two young kids.

The Following User Says Thank You to icehouse3z For This Useful Post:
cobwebb (06-18-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: anybody into juicing?

Hi I think a relative of mine survived cancer because she juiced after they nearly destroyed her with the surgery and chemotherapy. She was so out of energy that she did not want to juice for herself and I went and juiced for her. At the end of about 2 or so weeks she felt so much better that she juiced for herself and she is still alive 8 years later. Someone else felt that her periods improved greatly because of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

The down side is that you may not get enough fiber in your diet. The average person gets about 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day. The requirement is 25 to 35 grams per day to maintain good health. And, hopefully, fiber will come from natural whole fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds etc.. Fiber is not just for constipation but serves many purposes. Off hand I remember a few: It helps to stabilize blood sugar and helps in weight control. It helps to maintain healthy intestinal flora.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I have to say my relative did use 3 all natural meals in between juicing and it did include vegetables for eating as well as juicing.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Here's a more complete list of reasons for a high fiber diet:

1) Fiber helps to control the appetite.

2) Helps reduce calorie absorption.

3) High fiber foods are low-energy-density.

4) Fiber helps slow you body's conversion of carbs to sugar and thus helps to stabilize your blood sugar.

5) About 7 calories will be eliminated for every gram of fiber consumed.

Juicing eliminates fiber and concentrates sugar and calories:

Example: What happens when you juice carrots? One average carrot (7") contains 5 grams of sugar and 35 calories. To make a cup of carrot juice, how many carrots are required? Several. Multiply the number of carrots times 5 grams of sugar and then times 35 calories. It's amazing how fast the sugar and calories add up when the fiber is removed. (Note: If you combine lots of different fruits and vegetables to make one drink, the sugar and calories still add up in a similar fashion.)

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
SkyBlue99 (10-01-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi at least 4 of the people who did juicing between meals that I know about did not gain weight at all but maintained their normal weight.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi at least 4 of the people who did juicing between meals that I know about did not gain weight at all but maintained their normal weight.
That's good. How old were they and how many grams of fiber did they get per day? It's complicated because when I talk about this I'm talking about the average person (the average person in the U.S. is overweight) but there can be exceptions. I have known many who were thin until around the age of 35 and then slowly became overweight. And some became obese. So anecdotal evidence can be misleading. Sometimes it takes a decade or two for bad habits to show up as being bad for one's health. It's like a smoker who, after 30 or 40 years of smoking, says, "I'm doing okay". (Okay so far.)

I just think it's a good idea to present both sides of an issue. If anyone chooses to juice I think it's okay as long as they do it with full knowledge of all the possible consequences. Did I give the impression that it's all about weight control? Sorry if I did.

I'm on a vegan diet. Without juice and without animal protein, everything I eat contains fiber. Even so, I'm probably getting just about enough. Any calories coming from juice or animal protein would represent less fiber in my diet. So I think it's difficult to say that juicing doesn't interfere with normal fiber consumption.

Getting enough fiber will help keep a person regular and thus prevent hemorriods and possibly colon cancer as well.

I can't help but be a little skeptical about juicing because I firmly believe in eating natural whole foods. Processed foods are the problem in our culture and juicing is one more way to process food. It removes the fiber and concentrates the sugar. That's usually what happens when big food companies process food. Out goes the fiber and in goes the sugar. But when a food company does it we call it "junk food".

Juicing increases sugar and calorie consumption. Then to say one is getting their fiber from grain and fruit (to make up for the loss of fiber from vegetables) is amazing to me. How much grain and fruit would one have to eat to get their daily requirement of fiber? It seems to me that this would be a very high calorie starchy diet.

And what grains are we talking about? Processed or unprocessed? Those who don't lke vegetables usually don't like natural whole grains either. So we might be talking about highly processed grains.

Again, I just think it's a good idea to present both sides; when people watch infomercials on TV, they only see one side.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-01-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi 2 of them were in their 70's or so and they are all 4 vegetarians and because of they eat a lot of vegetables,beans, grains, nuts and fruit are not likely to be short on fiber with one possible exception, another one is likely to be about 50 in my estimation and the last one is 49. Three of them use unprocessed grains with the exception of the cooking and cleaning from rocks and dirt part. There is one who has stopped juicing and now does not use completely unprocessed foods. His cancer was several years ago (about 12) and he has gotten a bit lax about his diet using more processed foods and as a result probably less fiber. I am watching to see what happens to him. One of them in the 70's has also stopped juicing but is cancer free and has been so eight years and uses a lot of garden produce and mostly unprocessed food.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi, I met a woman who was diagnosed with very early stage breast cancer. She didn't want any conventional treatment so she decided to try eating 80% raw natural whole foods plus a little juice in the morning. She might have been around 65 and she concentrated mostly on eating as many raw vegetables as possible. Cooking, to some extent, tends to destroy fiber; so eating raw is better for fiber consumption. In her case, it may be that a little juice doesn't hurt. Anyway, she went back for a checkup after about 3 months and her doctor couldn't find any cancer. So she started a club called, "Eating In The Raw", and that's how I learned about her story. I would give the credit for her "cure" to eating lots of raw vegetables, not juicing. But I don't suppose a little juicing hurt anything in her case, as long as her overall diet was so exceptionally healthy.

Perhaps juicing should be kept as a once-a-day treat, so long as the rest on one's diet is healthy, as hers was.

I checked a book last night, "The New Glucose Revolution". Here's what the author said about fiber: The average consumption of fiber is only 11 grams per day (that's somewhat worse than what I had stated in an earlier post). We should get at least 25 grams. And the Diabetes Association recommends 25 to 30 grams per day. There's one book, "The Fiber35 Diet" that recommends 35 grams per day.

I wonder what happens to the average person who starts juicing? Do they go below 11 grams? Yes, if 11 is the average, there must be many who go below 11 grams per day. And, for them, diabetes would be one risk among many, in my opinion.

:-)

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-01-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
(female)

cmoore148 HB User

I've never thought about juicing celery...interesting idea. I recently juiced beets and thought they had an earthy flavor, but I read about the numerous health benefits it provided so thought I would give it a try. I ended up mixing the beet juice in with my green smoothie to help with the flavor. May have to give juicing celery a go..

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi a little lemon freshly squeezed is the one exception to the avoidance of mixing fruits with vegetable rule and might taste nice with beet juice there are other juices one might mix with it to make it a bit easier, it does increase volume though so one might try just a little at first.

Last edited by sjb; 06-02-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: addition

Old 06-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
(male)

Toose HB User

Hey thanks for the useful information shared by you..!!
I was really looking for that kinda information which will help me to maintain my health...!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome!

Closed Thread