It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Not Quite Vegetarian

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, by my diet mainly contains fruit and vegetables. I was recently diagnosed with hyperkalemia, which can result from eating too many of these foods, as they are high in potassium. Is this a common side effect of a vegetarian lifestyle, and is there way to treat it (with supplements, etc.)? I'd rather not change my eating lifestyle. Afterall, I thought fruit and vegetables were supposed to be good for you!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
(male)

cobwebb HB User
Question Re: Not Quite Vegetarian

I'm with you on this. I'd like to know the same thing. I'm not necessarily a vegetarian but I rarely eat meats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Not Quite Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
... I was recently diagnosed with hyperkalemia, which can result from eating too many of these foods, as they are high in potassium.
I've been on a diet heavy in veggies, and have often had the same problem with too much potassium in my diet, especially since I am also on medications that cause my body to retain potassium.

I know when I've had too much potassium because I will get weak, my pulse will get erratic and I will have breathing problems, especially during the night.

I eat 6-7 small meals per day, and what I've done to coexist with my high-veggie/high potassium diet is to limit the size of my veggie plates and salads. I LOVE veggies and salads, so it grieves me that I cannot eat larger salads and veggie plates, but for me, there is no other choice.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
(male)

cobwebb HB User

So, are you saying that vegetarianism is a problem that leads to this, or is this potassium only an issue with certain people?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Good question, I wonder too because I never had trouble with my potassium and sodium levels until after I became a heavy veggie and fruit eater. I'm hoping they're not related, but I suspect they are.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
(male)

cobwebb HB User

This is kind of random, I guess, but an example of one negative side effect of too many fruits is that eating too many bananas will attract mosquitoes.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

For the average healthy person, geting too much potassium from food is unlikely. But you can get too much by taking supplements. Also, if a person has a problem with kidney function, they could have a problem even with low levels of potassium consumption. And potassium can interact with medication; check with your doctor.

The adult daily requirement (from your diet) is 4,800 mg.

I've been eating a mostly vegan diet since 2006 and my yearly blood-work has never indicated that I have too much potassium.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-25-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: word change

Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
(male)

cobwebb HB User

That's good to know. It seems like it mostly depends on the individual. I have really been trying to go more vegetarian and tonight I had a wonderful meal. So I am really looking forward to better health and better tasting meals!

Closed Thread