It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
(female)

Opalyn HB User
Cool Is Meatless Meal Everyday healthy?

Can you tell that you are healthier if you are into meatless meal everyday?

Last edited by Opalyn; 07-11-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is Meatless Meal Everyday healthy?

Depends on what's in the meal! An order of fried cheese would be meatless but not all that healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
(female)

Eburt HB User

Well, as a vegetarian, I have eaten meatless meals everyday for the past 9 years!

If you plan on cutting out meat in a meal, with the intention of reducing your meat consumption, make sure you have a healthy protein substitute. Legumes like lentils, and beans are excellent choices. They're typically high in protein and fibre, as well as nutrients like iron and calcium. They can be cooked in a variety of ways, and are pretty inexpensive.

You can also buy veggie mock meat to supplement your meal in the place of real meat. Yves Veggie Cuisine makes some decent products, their ground beef substitute is popular in my house, as well as their burgers, hot dogs, and bacon. Gardein makes excellent "beefless tips" which are good in stroganoff, and stir-fries, and their fake chicken is also good.

Always ensure you're eating 4 food groups: vegetables, grains, dairy/substitutes, and protein in a meal. According to the Canada Food Guide, a main meal like breakfast, lunch, and dinner should contain all 4 groupings. A snack can get away with 2 or 3. Vegetables should make up 1/2 of your plate, protein and grains should be 1/4 each of the other half. Eating whole grains will boost the protein, fibre, and amino acid content of your meal.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalyn View Post
I agree with titchou that it all depends on what's in the meal. You can go meatless and still be high sodium, high sugar, high fat and low fiber.

Take a meatless burger, for example: As far as I know, it will be very high in sodium. Serve it on a white bun and that will likely add more sodium. Add some kind of dressing and you have even more sodium and possibly sugar.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-01-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Adjustments

Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

Iampuzzled HB User

Of course as someone else has pointed out... it depends what's in the non-meat meal.

I am too much of a fussy eater to be a vegetarian. However I am eating less meat than I was a few years ago. Just the other day I had an Indian curry at a party that didn't contain any meat - somethink I've never had before. It has chickpeas, potatoes, and lots of other yummy things (and of course spice).

I'm also eating more meat-free things like burgers and sausages. Some of these products are very tasty, even if I do prefer the real thing.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree with the other posts. I also think that you have to see what feels best to you and your body. Some people do great without meat and feel better that way, so long as they get other sources of protein. I personally feel my best when I'm eating lots of lean meat. I tend to not feel satisfied from my meal if there isn't any meat and usually more tired. I just try to stick with lean meat, like baked or grilled chicken breast or a lean cut of steak. I notice a huge difference when I'm eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies. If I'm eating a lot of pre-packaged and prepared foods, my energy is a lot lower than when I eat all fresh foods.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
(male)

gustavski HB User

It is of course a matter of choice whether one decides to eat meat or not but taking a look at our teeth should tell us we have not evolved enough to stop eating our main supply of protein.

gus

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalyn View Post
I've been basically vegan since 2006 and I feel very well. And my doctor agrees that I'm doing well. I've only been going for yearly check ups. I don't need any medications because I don't have any health issues. Everything on my blood test checks out good.

About protein: All plant foods contain balanced protein. But I do eat beans and lentils to make sure I'm getting enough. To insure good health, stick to natural (non-starchy) whole foods.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
(male)

gustavski HB User

I can understand people not eating meat if they are concerned about animal cruelty but not if they do not eat meat and it's byproducts to keep healthy.
The human body needs protein and meat is the best souce of protein so why not eat it?

gus

Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You could also eat fish - that's a variation on no meat. And fish are a great source of protein! I eat red meat about 2 times a year at the most. And pork maybe twice a year. The rest of the time it's fish, chicken breast, turkey breast and veggies and fruit. My idea of mashed potatoes is one SMALL red new potato mashed with about 1/2 teaspoon butter or quartered and oven roasted with spray Pam. Very low fat and carbs. All very healthy.

Closed Thread