It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
(female)

caseyjmc HB User
Question Lowering My LDL

My HDL is 59. Triglycerides 83. Ratio 3.9. LDL 152. 57 yr old female.

The question I have is, is it possible to lower my LDL to under 100 by December 2011?

BACKGROUND:
I had an MRI recently for some mild dizziness to rule out anything major. A bunch of lesions were discovered, and the Dr. sent me to a neurologist. MS was suspected, but no symptoms, no problems, and after another extensive MRI, no lesions in my spine. 3 months later, MRI shows no changes.

Neurologist put me on a daily baby aspirin to ward off a stroke, in case the lesions were indicative of microvascular ischemia. Given my high LDL numbers, he also asked my Primary Care doc to be "aggressive" in treating the LDL.

Given that there seem to be no new lesions, I've asked my dr. to allow me a few months without statins to try to lower my LDL naturally. She agreed to 3 months, saying that I needed to lower it to under 100 by then or she will put me on a statin.

EXTRA BACKGROUND:
I weighed over 225 for the last 15 years. 9 months ago, something in my body/mind/whatever shifted, and I began eating a third of what I'd always eaten in the past. I've lost 45 lbs, and my whole lifestyle has changed with little or no effort. Blood pressure is normal, I'm extremely active now, exercise several times weekly with several racquet sports, water sports, biking, even started riding a unicycle. I have no problem eating healthy, but I have not focussed on foods that lower LDL. I'm doing that now.

So, back to the question, is it possible to lower the LDL 53 points in 3-4 months by eating more soluble fiber every day, 70 grams or less of cholesterol, etc., coupled with the exercise I do now? Any suggestions that can help me reach this goal?

Thanks everyone for this great forum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Lowering My LDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjmc View Post
My HDL is 59. Triglycerides 83. Ratio 3.9. LDL 152. 57 yr old female.

The question I have is, is it possible to lower my LDL to under 100 by December 2011?
100 is optimal, 100 to 129 is near (or above) optimal and 130 to 159 is borderline high. So, you're borderline high. I think you should first set your goal at being "near optimal". I think that's a better approach. If you can make it to near optimal by December, that would be a good sign that you're moving in the right direction. Even if you just make it to 129, the doctor should give you more time.

The fastest way to get your cholesterol under control is to become a vegan but most people aren't willing to go that far. So I don't expect anyone to just suddenly become a vegan. However, to the extent you can approach veganism, the better. Let's say you eat two vegan meals per day, for example. That would be a big help. Oatmeal, fruit and nuts for breakfast would be good. For lunch: A big leafy green salad with beans and whole grains included.

Avoid stress: Stress can raise your cholesterol. So be sure not to let any exercise routine become stressful.

Note: Doctors tend to not want to take any risks because they fear being sued for malpractice. If they don't suggest medication and something happens........

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
caseyjmc (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
(male)

Jome HB UserJome HB UserJome HB User

The power of food and exercise eh!

Disregarding The 5% genetic reason for a medical problem, that leaves 95% of the problem linked to your lifestyle. You are now exercising, its the food type and its proportions that need to change...Dont think that by eating a low cholestrol diet (low fat or no fat yogurt etc) is the way it isn't. These products are often tasteless and pumped up with sugars.

Also don't listen to the usual stuff from the health authorities because so much of their advice is tainted by vested interests (the food lobby, the drug companies, the drink companies and so on).

Basically if you change the ration of Carbs, flesh, fruit, vegetables, animal products to the correct proportions you will correct all the imbalances you speak of, have fewer colds, flu, cancer, MS, diabetes and so on.

Quickly:-
Buy Dr N Walkers 2 books (they are cheap) Diet and salads and fresh juices (I think that is the name but you will see them in major on line book stores).

These books are only 100 pages and they will explain all you need to know.
They arean easy read but this guy lived to 106 years and treated many thousands of people to good effect.
Good luck ... well you wont need luck it will work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jome For This Useful Post:
caseyjmc (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

caseyjmc HB User

Thanks so much. That makes sense. If I've improved in that time, I would feel comfortable continuing on this path.

Re: veganism...
I would love that, but the rest of my family won't go there, and unless this turns out to be life or death, I'll stick with what I usuall do, which is a vegan breakfast (oat bran or oatmeal with apples or other fresh fruit, then fish or chicken and veggies for lunch, and a big salad at night with veggies and some lean protein, like fish, chicken and sometimes steak.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
(male)

Jome HB UserJome HB UserJome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjmc View Post
Thanks so much. That makes sense. If I've improved in that time, I would feel comfortable continuing on this path.

Re: veganism...
I would love that, but the rest of my family won't go there, and unless this turns out to be life or death, I'll stick with what I usuall do, which is a vegan breakfast (oat bran or oatmeal with apples or other fresh fruit, then fish or chicken and veggies for lunch, and a big salad at night with veggies and some lean protein, like fish, chicken and sometimes steak.
Yes it is difficult with families. However just try to cut down on FLESH.

Flesh and dairy should be less than 15% of your diet, cut down on the carbs.
...You willl notice the difference
Good luck

Last edited by Jome; 08-27-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

SkyBlue99 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Lowering My LDL

I don't know if this would help in any way, but you can sure give this a go:
  • Garlic is supposed to lower bad cholesterol. I don't know if you would want to try this (because perhaps you work in an office), but if you swallow one clove of garlic at night, it's supposed to be good for you. And apparently, if you eat parsley straightafter, it should mask the smell.
  • Go to a health food shop and buy Flaxseed oil. It is high in poly-unsaturates. I take one teaspoon at morning and one at night (as recommended on the bottle).(I think this might be very helpful)
  • When you're in the supermarket, before putting something into your trolley, look at the box and find the nutritional value, and make sure that the item you're buying is LOW in Saturated ("bad") fat.
I hope these few suggestions will help to inspire you
Good luck!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
(female)

caseyjmc HB User

Thank you. I'll know in December if all that I'm doing works.

Closed Thread