It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

capnash HB User
Motivation and Time

I know my husband and I need to start eating healthier and exercising. The problem is I get so overwhelmed just trying to figure out what to eat, grocery shopping for these things and preparing it. I don't have time to sit and look up recipes and plan out a week ahead. I have high cholesterol and my husband has high blood pressure. I also have fibromyalgia and I get so much going on in my head I just say I'll start next week and do nothing about it! Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Motivation and Time

I completely understand what you mean! I feel overwhelmed enough from other things that I really don't want to have to worry about food. I would love to learn how to cook, but I usually need to eat right away after getting home from work in order to finish everything else I need to get done in the evening. Although sometimes I get tired of eating similar things, I usually try to focus on buying a lot of things from the produce section, lean meats, and other healthy things, and avoid too many unhealthy snacks. I've been buying plain almonds and other plain nuts for snacks and light popcorn and enjoy that rather than having chips. I try to just throw things together rather than have to cook it. I also do buy some things that are already cooked and just need to be heated up. I just make sure to read the nutrition label to make sure it's low in sodium and additives. My grocery store has some great options that are pretty good for you. Recently I have been buying a delicious southwestern tilapia that just needs to be put in the oven for a bit. My husband and I are not big fish eaters, but we really have enjoyed this one. I also like buying rotisserie chickens. Some may still be higher in sodium, but I don't eat the skins and it's still much better for you than fried chicken, etc!

An interesting trick I learned is for most grocery stores, to focus on buying foods around the perimeter of the store. There are good options in the aisles too, but also more items with preservatives and not-so-healthy stuff. Most of all, I would just focus on making little changes at a time! If you try to do too much at once, it's way too overwhelming and hard to stick with in the long run. Just try little things at a time. Maybe try adding more fruits and vegetables to your day first, or something similar, then come up with a new goal later. Good luck!

PS - After dealing with chronic pain for a while now, I had been reading a lot about fibromyalgia. My doctor diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome, so a bit different than fibro. I feel exhausted many days and just don't have the energy I used to. I'm only 25 but feel like I've doubled in age in the past couple of years. I am sure you feel tired and achy from the fibro, so that's definitely another reason to make little changes and not stress over it. I have thought about making a good list for recipes and preparing ahead of time, but it just doesn't happen!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 11-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

capnash HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. You have some great suggestions! I just need to set my mind on getting it done. Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

oceanside33 HB User

A couple of things to help...

I know you said you don't want to think up meals for all week as you don't have the time and don't want to look over cookbooks. It will take a while the first couple of times but after that you can plan 5/6 dinners in say 20 minutes-write your shopping list as you do.

That way you know exactly what you need in the store (instead of browsing and picking up so not good stuff) and you don't have to think about it each day just look at your menu and get on with it. That 20/30 mins on a sunday saves you a lot of time during the week and stops you going for the wrong foods.

Remember to start slowly until is is a habit. For instance just plan two meals a week first and stick with them and once you see how easy those days are to prepare dinner you will be happy to do it for the rest of the week.

I know you say it overwhelms you but just take small steps to change and it will help. This is your health so it is always best to make the time and you will be glad you did.

Good luck

Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I haven't made anything from a recipe for years. I am definitely not <a cook>.

I believe simple meals are the best and easiest. A sample dinner for me would consist of a sweet potato, broccoli, and a salad. Another easy dinner would be spaghetti, made with whole grain pasta, and low-sodium spaghetti sauce, (as you said your husband has high blood pressure), with a vegetable and/or salad. Whole grain rice is also easy to prepare. With the new year upon us, it is a good time to start a new way of doing things.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Closed Thread