It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
(male)

ShreeramS HB User
Worried about height - please help

Hello, im 15 years old (turned 15 on December 21st) and indian. My Parents are 5'10" and 5'4". Currently I am 5'6"-5'7" and weight 125 lbs. Im afraid that im not growing like im supposed to be because most of the boys at school are taller than me. My dad is on the heavier side, and so am i (Sort of, im of good health, i can do exercise well, only a bit of stomach weight and i have Gynacomastea cuz my doctor told me, but i look perfectly healthy). My activity level is moderate and i take a weightlifting class at school. What else can i do to increase my height, i want to be atleast 5'11", my parents say i can cuz my grandpa was 5'7" and all my uncles are over that (5'9.5", 6'0", and my dad @ 5'10"). My uncle who was 6'0" also grew a lil late, but idk if i will grow, i do my best to be physically active but get distracted alot. So what can i do to get taller?

Here is a picture of me taken about a year ago, with my sister (who is about 5'8" and almost 17)
http://i39.tinypic.com/10qihk2.jpg

Last edited by ShreeramS; 02-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
(female)

package deal HB User
Re: Worried about height - please help

you have nothing to worry about. Your 1 parent is tall however the other is very short. which would cause you not to grow as tall as your 1 tall parent.
you are doing good. It natural that the boys in your school to be taller. at your age
I am 5 ft 8 and at your age I was 5ft 7
so dont worry about it. your genes have already detacted how tall you be before you were born

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello ShreeramS.

I think as package deal has mentioned genetics determines how tall you will be. If you're not already I suggest eating healthy foods and ensuring you're consuming the recommended amounts of nutrients for a male your age. Although this probably won't increase your maximum height potential, consuming the right nutrients will ensure you won't have malnutrition which could stunt your growth.

When I was 15 I was 5'8" but as an adult my height is 6'0". You still have a few more years of possible growth so there's no guarantee your current height will be permanent.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
(male)

ShreeramS HB User

Thanks for your responses so far...heres a little more info:

My grandfather is staying with us for a bit now, and he told us:

My uncle who is 6'0", was 3-4 inches shorter than my dad when he was 17, and grew till he was 21. We saw a video of it, and he was really 3-4" shorter than my dad when he was 17.

I'm taller than my dad was when he was my age.

Oh and btw, @Package Deal, my grandfather was 5'7" when he was younger (due to age he is 5' 6" now) and my grandmother was about 5' 3".....yet my dad still grew pretty tall.

I have increased my activity level, especially running, im about 5' 7.5" now, 135 lbs...and i have been for about 4 months, i feel like i have flatlined now.

It is also a worry for me that maybe i grew early, and this is the most ill grow now, instead of growing late like my uncle.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

eric909 HB User

We can say there are person called "late bloomer", they grow in late stage instead on shooting up years of between 12-15, at the age of 15-21, boys an still grow taller and up to age of 18 for girls, you have nothing to worry about, just eat foods that could trigger growth, and do not forget to do physical activities and exercise.

Reply Reply