HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Healthy Lifestyle (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/healthy-lifestyle/)
-   -   getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/healthy-lifestyle/932840-getting-off-sweet-n-low-other-artificial-sweeteners.html)

sweetpotato13 12-24-2012 11:46 AM

getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners

For those of you who have successfully gotten off artificial sweeteners, especially Sweet N Low, can you tell me if you went off cold turkey, or if you tapered down over a period of time? I have given up diet soda within the last six months but I have been substituting it with lots of artificially sweetened teas and coffees. I need to get a grip! I'd love to hear your success stories.

Titchou 12-25-2012 06:30 AM

Re: getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners

Try using turbinado suger (sugar in the raw). It's much better for you, not highly processed (it's brown, not white). Also, it's 0 points on weight watchers (or used to be when I was on WW). It takes a little getting used to as the flavor is different but that's all I use in my tea and cappacino. I even carry packets of it when I go out of town so I'm sure to have it handy.

SoundsFamiliar 09-19-2013 11:02 AM

I was badly addicted to Coca Cola at one time (regular or diet, no difference). Going through not just one but two two-quart bottles in a day was when I realized I'd hit rock bottom. I'd tried quitting many times before but the darn $0.88 for 2 quart bottle sales kept sucking me back in.

I was able to dig myself out of that trench by switching to Pepsi (yuck! phooey!), which was a good transition choice as it satisfied my body's craving for sugar, yet did not satisfy the other component (Coke's 'special' recipe).

Switching to Pepsi did the trick as I soon lost interest in pop, and from then on resolved to never stock it in my home. I on rare occasion will indulge in a coke at a restaurant instead of my usual ice water. I think 'transitioning' through substitution is a good approach for dropping an entrenched habit.

sf

pks1206 04-17-2014 10:53 AM

Turbinado or organic sugar rocks!

I used to swill diet Coke at an alarming rate, and I've been weaning myself off of it over the last 6 months; I'm down to maybe a 12oz bottle once a week.

If I want carbonation more often than that I go for sparkling water.

I am also a coffee-holic, but I switched over to decaf a few years ago and that's all I drink. However Nutrasweet used to be what I put in coffee, tea etc. and that stuff is just so bad for you; it's even worse when you're going through menopause, or at least it was for me.

Then I discovered turbinado, which is basically just unrefined sugar with the molasses still in it. It's wonderful and now it's all I use. Poof, cold turkey with the artificial sweeteners and I don't miss it at all.

I have also discovered that my craving for sweets is practically gone.

I can't recommend this stuff highly enough, and it's not outrageously expensive. I pay $3.95 for 2 pounds of organic sugar, and I personally think it's very worth it.

You can get "Sugar in the Raw" in packets, but I'm not a fan of the larger granules, so I will stick with my organic. It's got a different taste than refined white sugar; I didn't miss the NutraSweet one bit.

Titchou 04-18-2014 05:55 AM

When I went on Weight Watchers I switched to the sugar in the raw as well. Love it. And you can get it much cheaper at WalMart - even the WalMart Market grocery stores so you don't have to go to the big super center places.

Titchou 04-18-2014 05:55 AM

When I went on Weight Watchers I switched to the sugar in the raw as well. Love it. And you can get it much cheaper at WalMart - even the WalMart Market grocery stores so you don't have to go to the big super center places.