It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners

For those of you who have successfully gotten off artificial sweeteners, especially Sweet N Low, can you tell me if you went off cold turkey, or if you tapered down over a period of time? I have given up diet soda within the last six months but I have been substituting it with lots of artificially sweetened teas and coffees. I need to get a grip! I'd love to hear your success stories.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners

Try using turbinado suger (sugar in the raw). It's much better for you, not highly processed (it's brown, not white). Also, it's 0 points on weight watchers (or used to be when I was on WW). It takes a little getting used to as the flavor is different but that's all I use in my tea and cappacino. I even carry packets of it when I go out of town so I'm sure to have it handy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
Cool Re: getting off sweet n low and other artificial sweeteners

I was badly addicted to Coca Cola at one time (regular or diet, no difference). Going through not just one but two two-quart bottles in a day was when I realized I'd hit rock bottom. I'd tried quitting many times before but the darn $0.88 for 2 quart bottle sales kept sucking me back in.

I was able to dig myself out of that trench by switching to Pepsi (yuck! phooey!), which was a good transition choice as it satisfied my body's craving for sugar, yet did not satisfy the other component (Coke's 'special' recipe).

Switching to Pepsi did the trick as I soon lost interest in pop, and from then on resolved to never stock it in my home. I on rare occasion will indulge in a coke at a restaurant instead of my usual ice water. I think 'transitioning' through substitution is a good approach for dropping an entrenched habit.

sf

Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

pks1206 HB User

Turbinado or organic sugar rocks!

I used to swill diet Coke at an alarming rate, and I've been weaning myself off of it over the last 6 months; I'm down to maybe a 12oz bottle once a week.

If I want carbonation more often than that I go for sparkling water.

I am also a coffee-holic, but I switched over to decaf a few years ago and that's all I drink. However Nutrasweet used to be what I put in coffee, tea etc. and that stuff is just so bad for you; it's even worse when you're going through menopause, or at least it was for me.

Then I discovered turbinado, which is basically just unrefined sugar with the molasses still in it. It's wonderful and now it's all I use. Poof, cold turkey with the artificial sweeteners and I don't miss it at all.

I have also discovered that my craving for sweets is practically gone.

I can't recommend this stuff highly enough, and it's not outrageously expensive. I pay $3.95 for 2 pounds of organic sugar, and I personally think it's very worth it.

You can get "Sugar in the Raw" in packets, but I'm not a fan of the larger granules, so I will stick with my organic. It's got a different taste than refined white sugar; I didn't miss the NutraSweet one bit.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

When I went on Weight Watchers I switched to the sugar in the raw as well. Love it. And you can get it much cheaper at WalMart - even the WalMart Market grocery stores so you don't have to go to the big super center places.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

When I went on Weight Watchers I switched to the sugar in the raw as well. Love it. And you can get it much cheaper at WalMart - even the WalMart Market grocery stores so you don't have to go to the big super center places.

Reply Reply