It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
(male)

krm27 HB User
When is it going to far trying to avoid unhealthy foods?

My wife and I are having a lot of problems over our different views on healthy eating.

Now, we do not really disagree on what is healthy and what is unhealthy. The disagreement is about how you draw the line / compromise on "perfect" avoidance of unhealthy foods.

Your kid goes to a birthday party...can they eat a piece of store-bought cake that the other kids are having, or do you bring a special gmo-free, organic, cup-cake for your child to eat to avoid getting any gmo products or excitotoxins or high fructose corn syrup or whatever?

My view is kind of simple, kind of complex. I used to eat everything. Then I was a vegan. Now I eat everything again. I try to steer to healthy choices, but to me I figure, I've got to die of something, I'm not in this life to chase physical immortality. I'm here to interact with others, grow, learn, enjoy, teach, whatever. There's more to life than longevity. If our kids get teased or ostracized for eating weird, is that healthy? How does the psychological impact of a nonconformist dietary philosophy weigh against the health benefits?

I see a hypocrisy in the parent who would move heaven and earth to prevent their child from ingesting a cold medicine that could help alleviate a child's pain and distress from a bad cold, because it contains half a milligram of a possible carcinogen, when that same parent will drive the child to play dates when there is as much chance of getting a serious car accident as their is that that half a milligram of questionable ingredient in some medicine is going to somehow harm the child in the long run.

Okay, I realized I'm rambling and not being very clear. Just trying to see other perspectives than mine (or my wife's) on this issue of how you decide when to go with the flow and just accept that not ever ingredient in every food you eat is risk-free, versus taking a zero tolerance approach to potential risks.

Ken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: When is it going to far trying to avoid unhealthy foods?

I think everything in moderation is fine......
if you deprive yourself of something, you will binge later on something else...
it's just human nature. I would steer toward healthy choices along with educating your child on WHY you would choose one thing over another, but I absolutely would NOT send a child to a birthday party with their own organic cupcake....I think that borders on ridiculous! Is that what your wife is suggesting? If so, does she follow such a strict diet herself? I would wonder if this is turning into a control issue with your wife, which in itself would be unhealthy.....

Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

samaritan HB Usersamaritan HB User

I think when it starts to become dysfunctional it's time to re-evaluate the situation. My brother is a pretty strict vegan and it's really hard to have a good time with him and his family. We have trouble finding restaurants that the whole family can go to. Most potlucks or family holidays are harder than they need to be because only a few of the people at the function need "special" food.

It's not that he's a bad guy, but most people think twice before inviting him to anything like a picnic or party.

In my opinion, if you eat vegan or healthy for the majority of the year, what's the problem with having some "packaged" food 1 day a month. It's not going to kill you.

But hey, that's just how I roll... I am sure my brother would have a different opinion.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Where to draw the line: Stick to what's healthy, period. Especially when kids are in their formative years. If you start blurring the line with a little cake now and then, and maybe some cookies at certain occasions. A little candy at Holloween, then there's Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other birthdays and the list goes on and on. Before you know it, there will be no line at all and you'll be eating the Standard American Diet.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-15-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Reply Reply