It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

Stapedectomy and my fears

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Nina2017
(female)

Nina2017 HB User
Post Stapedectomy and my fears

Hi. I'm 38yo and have experienced hearing loss and tinnitus for the past 8 years.
I always thought it was caused by running around shooting ranges without hearing protection when I was a kid, loud music and being part of a band. They're equals in both ears but my left one is a bit worse.

I got my first hearing aids 6 years ago, which helped with the hearing but the tinnitus is still there like a shadow.
It doesn't affect my social life that much as my friends are aware and speak louder for my benefit, but I started getting DEPRESSED for how it affected me at work. I look at people and only see their mouth moving but no sound; I look around and realize everyone can hear them and discuss things.

So after so long I decided to check on my hearing again with an audiometry. To my surprise, I lost between 15-25db of hearing, which made me really sad. But the good news was - I have otosclerosis! While I thought my tinnitus was the problem and made my life miserable, it is actually the hearing loss that makes it worse and my whole belief system was destroyed.

To my surprise, my grandma started losing her hearing around her 20s, and my mom around 40s, and my mom knew she had otosclerosis.

So I went to the ENT last week and I am having stapedectomy on my left ear this Thursday, 17 August.

I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder so I can't even describe how nervous I am to have my first ever surgery with so many post-op questions, the reality that I'll have to be very patient, and the scare of the unknown results.

I shall keep you posted as I hope I can help others who suffer not only from hearing loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, depression, panic, stapedectomy, tinnitus